Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need easier way to "empty" my harddrive-help!  (Read 2725 times)

nansaidh

Need easier way to "empty" my harddrive-help!
« on: July 16, 2006, 11:33:33 AM »
My computer has a virus, I need to Restore it, but I have a HUGE amount of info that I need to backup (images, Im a photographer) but I don't want to have to add it one CD at a time because that will take forever and it seems overwhelming.

Is there a "device" or way to save ALL the info quickly from my harddrive, something that can hold ALL the info, then I can restore my computer, start fresh and still have saved all the contents of my harddrive?

Thank you

homer

Expert
    Re: Need easier way to "empty" my harddrive-help!
    « Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 12:26:07 PM »

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 12:40:47 PM »
      How about an external hard drive?

Alan <>    ;)
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 12:46:33 PM »
      I second external hard drive.  

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 12:56:09 PM »
      Actually another suggestion would be a dual-layer DVD burner...they are down to about $75.00 bucks U.S. right now and you would be killing 2 birds with 1 stone...you would have a hard copy of all your photos etc. and be ready to do a clean restore...

patio.   8-)

p.s. i would highly recommend Lite-On for a brand...others might have some more suggestions.
      « Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 12:57:07 PM by patio »
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 01:05:29 PM »
      A dual-layer DVD burner has 8.5GB capacity, right?  I found this review: http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.aspx?articleid=617&cid=4

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 01:20:31 PM »
      Actually another suggestion would be a dual-layer DVD burner...they are down to about $75.00 bucks U.S.

Under $40 at Newegg!

An external hard drive sounds good, but it only postpones the inevitable. All hard drives die eventually and the data goes with it OR you still have to back it up to permanent media (if you get the chance)!
      « Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 01:21:39 PM by GX1_Man »

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 01:32:43 PM »
      Good point, and here's an article with some tips on care of CD's and DVD's: CD and DVD Longevity: How Long Will They Last?

nansaidh

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 01:36:41 PM »
      Thanks for all the replies, since I have 89 GB's to transfer I think it sounds like I need an external 100GB hard drive.  Now, since Im not that savvy with computers I have to ask.............

do I connect the external HD to my usb port?  

How do I start  the transfer?

Can I access the material on the external and NOT re-infect my Restored computer??

Hey, thanks for all the replies

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2006, 01:40:27 PM »
      You can copy the files to the external and then virus scan them from safe mode.

Here's some info:

http://www.smartcomputing.com/Editorial/article.asp?article=articles/2004/w1510/07w02/07w02.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/bott_03july14.mspx

Some folks have had major issues with externals and lost their precious data. Just be aware if you think that is foolproof and safe and that info is irreplaceable!  :o

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #10 on: July 16, 2006, 01:48:13 PM »
      Yes, connect the external HD to a usb port?  You can either buy an external hard drive, a unit that already has the hard drive built into it, or you can make an external drive by buying an external enclosure and then installing any IDE or SATA hard drive in it; just be sure to buy an enclosure that's designed for the type of hard drive you would be installing in it.

You can copy the files over simply by opening a Windows Explorer window and executing the copy from there.  If you want to backup, rather than copy, you can use the Windows Backup utility found under Accessories, System Tools.  

If you copy only your photos to the external drive and no executable files, you will not re-infect you computer.  Still, once you get your files copied to the external drive and get your system back up and running (virus -free), then I would scan the external hard drive with your anti-virus software.

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #11 on: July 16, 2006, 04:14:50 PM »

An external hard drive sounds good, but it only postpones the inevitable. All hard drives die eventually and the data goes with it OR you still have to back it up to permanent media (if you get the chance)!
      I think's it worth noting that an external drive need only be running when needed for backup or restore of files.  I have an external drive (HD in an enclosure); since it is powered with an AC adapter and has it's own power switch, I leave it off except when I'm actually using it to backup or restore files.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #12 on: July 16, 2006, 11:38:30 PM »
      Re-visit my suggestion above before you go and purchase an external HDD...

patio.   8-)
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "