Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Would a virus/worm/trojan horse cause this?  (Read 3507 times)

noelin

Would a virus/worm/trojan horse cause this?
« on: July 16, 2006, 10:14:33 PM »
Ive been working a computer that is having some issues.

At first it was giving my niece this error in start up.  "Cant find system.ini. Need to run windows setup again to install the file. Press any key to continue." When any key is hit any and it shuts the computer off.   Never getting into windows98.    I realized I can hit f8 and it started into safe mode.  I ran scandisk.  Now when I shut it down and restarts, it makes me choose what mode I want to start it in.  It wont let me start in normal mode.  I just keep restarting it into safe mode.  

Not really sure what to do next to figure out what is wrong with it.   Should I just reformate the hard drive. Really didnt want to do that.  Even if I did that if its a virus etc it may not get all of the infected stuff and it may have a reoccurance, right????  

Operating System:Microsoft Windows 98
Maker/Model: HP Pavilion
RAM: 56.0
Hard Drive: 10 gb I think
Anti-virus Agvest-anti virus and also norton 2005.  Agvest was just updated on 7-13 I believe.
Spyware and adware ran on 7-13  
disk frag ran last on 7-11
ScanDisk ran today.

Is this a possible virus or trojan horse causing issues?

The recover disk only gives me the option to reformat the hard drive. Im not ready to do that yet.  
Any other suggestions???

Arc

Hopeful

Re: Would a virus/worm/trojan horse cause this?
    « Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 02:58:00 AM »
    Do you have the win 98 install disk? You just need to restore the system.ini file, like it says.
    No, you shouldn't have to reformat, but reformating the hard disk would get rid of a virus, as well as everything else on your hard drive.

In safe mode run avast, and see if you find anything

Viper
    « Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 03:04:41 AM by Viper1991 »
    You've got to stop taking life so seriously;

or you'll never make it out alive

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 04:20:20 AM »
    I would backup the data files and then reformat the drive and reload Windows without hesitation. Usually agressive and non-thinking disk cleaning causes this rather than malware. What happened just prior to this?
    « Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 04:21:27 AM by GX1_Man »

Steeve2300

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 08:24:31 PM »
    Read this article and see if the symptoms add up.  It may save a complete reformating of disk.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305671/en-us

From microsoft knowledge base.

Steeve