Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: how to connect from home to internet on my office?  (Read 4672 times)

seahorse

how to connect from home to internet on my office?
« on: July 18, 2006, 04:34:45 PM »
Hi ppl.
I need to make a dial up connection from home, to my computer in the office in order to use the ADSL connection to internet in the office. More or less i have an idea of what to do but somehow i mess the thing up and cannot get anything.

first i know that i have to make the high speed internet connection in the office shared (already done).
after i supposed to configure an account that could accept remote connections (from the dial up modem) I'm not sure how to do that.
besides i need a dial up modem connected to the computer that is connected to internet,  but is needed to make it accept incoming calls and configure it to answer after a fixed amount of ringbells, i've read the modem's manual and tried to write the needed AT commands in the comand's initialization window but i dont know why it don't accept nothing there (will not work,  or the modem comebacks to the status of not accepting incoming calls. i've checked the sintaxis already!!).

In case i succed After all that is supposed that i need to make a new dial up connection in home to the office telephone, and log on the new account when the modem answer and that's all?, correct me if not.

I have windowsXP Pro SP2 in all my computers and they are Pentium 4, my modem is MultiTech MT5634 ZBA USB56k modem.

If anybody have some advice or tutorial that i could use please help me!

seahorse   :-?

johnchain

Re: how to connect from home to internet on my off
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 05:48:18 PM »
I don't understand the purpose? You want to get your Dial-up internet to route through your ADSL connection at the office? For what purpose, to connect to the office network? To attempt to make the dial-up go faster? To spoof your IP address?

The problem you are mentioning I am not positive if there is a way to do it. Yet if you ask a more specific question, I might be able to find another way as a solution

John Chain

homer

Expert
    « Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 05:56:04 PM »
    Hi ppl.
    I need to make a dial up connection from home, to my computer in the office in order to use the ADSL connection to internet in the office.

please clarify.

SilentAssasin64

Apprentice

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 06:23:29 PM »
    I'm not so sure that doing this will make your Internet connection any faster.  This is because the connection is only as fast as the SLOWEST connection.  The slowest connection is your Dial-Up so that's about as fast as it would go.  Even if you did use the DSL from your office.
    Back In The Game

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    « Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 07:09:27 PM »
    SilentAssasin64 is right.  You can't somehow get the benefit of the higher speed DSL service through some such setup.  As long as you're using a dial-up/56k modem, then that's just what you have.  A 56K modem is only technically designed for speeds up to ... guess what ... 56K.  You're trying to dream up some way of surpassing this limitation.  It won't work.
    « Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 07:10:39 PM by soybean »

homer

Expert
      « Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 07:19:20 PM »
      as well as dreaming of ACTUALLY getting 56kbs...

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      « Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 08:11:23 PM »
      Yep.  FCC sets a 53K limit and rarely is that actually achieved.  This was recently discussed in http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1152818312/0

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
        • Me
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 01:58:44 AM »
      FCC has no jurisdiction in the UK.  :P   ;D
      Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 09:27:34 AM »
      FCC is coming to get you now, Rob. RUN!!!  :o :o :o :o

seahorse

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006, 12:33:43 PM »
      Sorry if i didnt myself clear.
      i just want to use my adsl conection from home . the situation is: i have a computer with a shared connection to internet by ADSL in my work , and i want  access to that computer from home by telephone (dial up) in order to use that internet connection at night from my house, it's clear now? :-?
      thanks

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2006, 12:52:35 PM »
        seahorse......  It sounds like you simply wish top access your office network from your home ....Is that correct ?  And you have a adsl connection at home .
        So why wouldn't you just use your adsl ( not dialup ) and connect to your office network ?   Then you would enter your office network and passord and your in ...... But you need to set up your office network so your home machine is part of that network .
        I am sure this is what you wish to do ,but let us know .
        The confusing part was the referance to dial-up.

dl65  ::)
        If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
          • Me
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #11 on: July 21, 2006, 03:25:51 AM »
        Yes, if you have ADSL in both places, forget about dial up.

What you need to do is set up a VPN connection between your home and your office.  Please advise what network hardware you're using (routers, etc) and what server (if any) you have at the office.
        Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Michael

Adviser
          « Reply #12 on: July 21, 2006, 07:21:17 AM »
          But if you have both ADSL, then what's the point for making that connection?
          You will be like putting an extension pipe of the same size.
          Unless you simply want to excess your office network and not trying to have a faster connection through your office's ADSL connection (which I guess is what you are trying to do).
          To solve the puzzle, please state the intention/purpose of setting up such a connection.
          And what is connection speed at your house and office respectively?  

seahorse

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2006, 10:31:33 AM »
          the point is i have not adsl at home i only have a modem and  i want to get access to the net of my oficce and use all its possibilities from home using the telephone line at night or week end i have no accounts in my home , i read that i can get to the net in my work, but i need to do an incoming dial up connection in the computer at work in order to access it from my house but i  having problems with that task
          thanks everyone

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
            « Reply #14 on: July 21, 2006, 10:37:17 AM »
            You Cant get the Benefits of ADSL at home, you will still be only at dial Up Speeds

and some how i get the Feeling you don't intend to Work from home, and There Fore are not looking for Access to the Office network, you  just want the ADSL , and you Cant Have it.

If you want ADSL speed at home , you have to Buy ADSL at home
            Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice