Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: can' t run pc due to "NON ACTIVE HDD PARTITION"  (Read 1874 times)

kdaddy

can' t run pc due to "NON ACTIVE HDD PARTITION"
« on: July 19, 2006, 11:11:10 AM »
 >:( Windows 98 crashed and now I can't boot anything. I continue to recieve a message saying " not found any [active patition hdd]. It keeps saying to insert system disk, and I do , and i get the message above again, and again. Help!

shouvik

Apprentice

• Computer Hope - Always For Your Help
    Re: can' t run pc due to "NON ACTIVE HDD PARTITION
    « Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 12:39:58 PM »
    What do you mean by windows 98 crashed?

;D

If it is crahed then you need to reinstall it again.

What is active partition?

That part of the hard disk containing the operating system to be loaded when you start or restart the computer. You can install 2 different operating systems ( perhaps DOS and OS/2) on your hard disk, but each must be in its own separate area, or partition. Only one partition can be active at any given time, and to change from the DOS to the non-DOS partition, you may have to use the DOS FDISK command.

So you see, if there is no operating system, then it will be unable to find any active partition. And an active partition (or an operating system) is required to boot a computer without the system disk.

Go to Fdisk and do it again.

When it ask for which drive to "mark as active" (do that). it will obviously be your c drive.

more info
    « Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 12:45:09 PM by shouvik »

GX1_Man

Re: can' t run pc due to "NON ACTIVE HDD PARTITION
    « Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 01:10:45 PM »
    If that doesn't help you please post back.  ;)