Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is my hardware damaged?  (Read 2468 times)

venus_hunter

Is my hardware damaged?
« on: July 21, 2006, 04:24:15 AM »
I have received some advice on the Windows forum, but am now at the stage where, due to my PC switching itself off whenever it feels like it, I have tried to use the recovery disc to go back to factory settings.

However, even during this process the PC will just switch off. It has to be left for half an hour before I can use it again. The only thing I can think of is that I'll have to contact someone to repair it, but my question is: could a power surge have caused any damage? The problem did start within an hour of an electrical storm.

Would there be any obvious signs of it having been struck? :)

Also, what will need to be done to repair it if the recovery disc can't be used? What will need to be replaced? I use Windows ME.

Thank you. :-/

GX1_Man

Re: Is my hardware damaged?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 04:26:41 AM »
If it is the power supply itself, which is likely due to the proximity of the surge you report and the symptom, a simple replacement will fix it.

What is the make/model of the PC and the make/wattage of the PSU (it will be printed on the power supply itself)?

venus_hunter

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 05:22:48 AM »
If it is the power supply itself, which is likely due to the proximity of the surge you report and the symptom, a simple replacement will fix it.

What is the make/model of the PC and the make/wattage of the PSU (it will be printed on the power supply itself)?

It is a Packard Bell imedia 6185. I don't know how to find separate details for the PSU's wattage. Hope that sort of answers the query. :-/
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 05:37:27 AM by venus_hunter »

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 05:50:04 AM »
You would have to open the case and look. It is probably a proprietary size and wattage. I tappears that that model originally shipped with Windows ME, so it may be difficult to find parts, especially if this was a US made machine. PB is still active abroad.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 05:52:16 AM by GX1_Man »

venus_hunter

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 07:03:13 AM »
I think it's 145 Watt, according to PB's site. Hope that sounds realistic. :-/

Could my problems be consistent with an overheating computer? Could my fan need dust to be cleared? It does seem to switch off more and more quickly the hotter it is. The room has been up to 33 degrees these last two days. :-/

I might just be hoping there's a connection there, but some days it will stay on for hours, yet these last few days it's been up to maybe 5/10/20 minutes.

Thank you. :)

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 08:02:23 AM »
Look inside and make sure all the fans are turning when powered up. You can use a can of compressed air to clean in there but don't spray into a fan unless the blades are locked to prevent rapid spinning. A vacuum cleaner inside the case is NOT a good idea.