Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: processor runs slower than it should  (Read 4811 times)

Andrew Ray

processor runs slower than it should
« on: September 07, 2004, 03:10:42 PM »
my windows xp keeps freezing on me at different points.  when i try to open something it will freeze, such as pokerstars, i deleted it and reinstalled it, same problem... but other things will freeze the computer too, and my processor is not running at the right speed, it's running at slightly over 1/4 the right speed it should be... if i reboot the computer a few times eventually the processor will run at the right speed (it's an AMD Athlon 64 3400+ that SHOULD run at 2.2) but the freezing problem is still there... i'm not sure if this is a windows problem or a processor problem, this is a brand new computer and i didn't even notice this problem until i got it on the internet, any help would be very helpful.

Xemus

Re: processor runs slower than it should
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 04:38:35 PM »
How are you verifing the speed it's running at? Are you refering to the actual clock speed, or just that it "seems" to be running at 1/4 the speed?
Done the usual antivirus, antispyware steps yet?
Make sure you have antivirus installed, updated, and that you've done a full system scan.
Download Ad-aware and Spybot, update them, and run scans.
Also, you should try a free online virus scan to double check your AV software.

Links here:
http://www.closedsocket.com/links.html

Andrew Ray

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 07:56:04 PM »
yes, i scanned it for viruses, i got rid of adware, i scanned the hard drive for errors, i even updated the driver for the processor... i right click on my computer and go to properties, it says it's running slower than it should be, but if i keep restarting the computer it will eventually say 2.19 (roughly the max), right now it says 797 MHz which is much slower than it should be, about 1/3? also, many programs will freeze, but it's not specific programs, well, it is, but other things will freeze a lot too, my poker program has been freezing everytime (it worked fine on my other computer), but it worked before on this one, too, just a few days ago (this is practically brand new), but other things have frozen too, just randomly, sometimes just clicking different links inside "my computer" will freeze it (and ctrl alt delete won't close it either, it's just frozen)... i assumed these things were linked, how could i have two different problems with a brand new computer? help!

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2004, 10:34:03 AM »
3400+ does not mean it runs at 3400Mhz.

It would be better if you stick to one thread to avoid confusion..

Andrew Ray

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2004, 12:13:28 PM »
i don't believe i ever said it was supposed to run at 3400 MHz, actually, to quote myself, i said "2.19 (roughly the max)" which is referring to the max speed of 2.2 GHz... i should put it in one thread, if one thread covered it, perhaps if i knew the exact problem i would know whether to put it in hardware or windows, but i do not, so i figured i would ask both, since it could be either

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2004, 12:19:12 PM »
but trojans can cause your cpu to work overtime...the famous one svhost ....
« Last Edit: September 08, 2004, 12:19:47 PM by merlin_2 »

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2004, 12:35:23 PM »
My mistake, I thought you said it was short 797Mhz.

But I still suggest you stick to the other thread.

Xemus

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2004, 01:25:50 PM »
Can someone throw in a link to the other thread please?

Andrew Ray

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2004, 06:04:31 PM »
i'm still not certain that it isn't a processor problem itself, it could also be a compaq problem, i've been trying to get help on this for days now, people have reported similar problems with other compaq HP laptops with athlon processors, i'm just not sure which is causing the problem, but i would guess that compaq is... i have scanned it for viruses and am doing another one now, which has shown nothing as well, i don't think it's an internet related problem, i think it's hardware, software, or somehow the relationship between them...

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2004, 03:25:42 AM »
Contact Compaq technical support?