Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PLEASE HELP ME  (Read 4129 times)

Tom

PLEASE HELP ME
« on: August 03, 2004, 11:21:50 AM »
My pc is acting really strange and i do not know why

i came back after a week away, plugged in my computer and pressed the on button, on goes the green light but whats this......silence.....nothings working....its on but its not doing anything.

I tryed again, several times, but to no avail.  I then unplugged it and waited.  Again i plugged it in and it did the same only this time, after a slight pause, it whirred to life, only the monitor wasnt working now.  I turned the pc off and started it  again, now it all works again.

Talk about going off on one.  I would like to know what in gods name my pc was messing about with.  Please be aware, the pc WAS PLUGGED IN and the power was on, there were NO LOOSE CONNECTIONS.  What is happening, will it happen again, is this a major problem.

I await and will grately appreciate all responses.

merlin_2

Re: PLEASE HELP ME
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 01:56:13 PM »
more info on psu ram and graphics card/adapter..maybe your wall socket<15amps> in this country  is faulty try another mains wall  socket or have you connected your pc to a extension lead?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2004, 01:57:14 PM by merlin_2 »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 02:09:40 PM »
    Tom.......How old is you p/c ? Have you ever opened it up and blew out the dust that accumulated in it....?

Computers do strange things from time to time.......
    let us know

dl65  ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Tom

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 02:58:14 PM »
    -2 years old

-rarley cleaned

-this pc has a history of mental illness
    (constant physical memory dumps)

-Wall sockets work
    (checked with other plugs in house, the pc reacts the same to all)

whats starnge is that it seems fine again, as it is doing now sometimes

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 03:00:14 PM »

Tom

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2004, 05:04:30 AM »
    it still does it, but would the following solutions help?

new power supply unit?
    (how could i tell if mine was faulty)

or is this nothing to do with the power supply unit, but a loose connection somewhere within the system?

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004, 08:35:34 AM »
    You said it yourself. No loose connections.

It is not sure wheter your Power Supply Unit is faulty or not. I suggest you wait and see. If it happens again, you can attempt to replace it.

maqtda alsadr

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2004, 04:28:25 PM »
    all symtoms point to power supply, including mem trips

Corrosive

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2004, 02:07:06 PM »
    A fairly easy check to test the PSU is to find a mate and fit you're suspect PSU into his/her PC.

If it is in fact the PSU at fault, you'll find that your friend's PC will show the symptoms your's does. If not, the fault lies elsewhere.

If you have a multimeter, you could also use that to check but quite frankly I ain't recommending that until you know exactly how to use it safely. Don't want you getting fried do we?

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2004, 03:30:47 AM »
    Quoted from my Chieftec Switching Power Supply Unit manual: (420 watt, duall fan)

5. When ATX Type Switching Power Supply in testing condition (log in alone / not to be attached within a PC case ) must be connected to a "load" (a hard drive for instance), then the Switching Power Supply can be turn on ( fan start to rotate ) and DC power output in operation.

All the grammar and spelling errors were present in my guide..

This may be a good way to test your PSU without too much hassle. However, I suggest you refer to your guide in order not to void warranty.