Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Confused disconecting person with a huge PING prob  (Read 2692 times)

conelamor

Confused disconecting person with a huge PING prob
« on: July 21, 2006, 08:21:56 PM »
Hello,
I am getting totally frustrated and must not be looking at the obvious in a obvious way.
PC INFO: HP Pavilion 4445 pent Celeron, 256 mg, WinXP (iam am used to win98 not xp)

I play a game, Endless Online, 2D graphics cchat, lots of maps, but fun.
It is so laggy and so is almost every game or anything i try to do online.
I called the Cable company and asked them about it.
I upgraded to 256 cable from 182, and it moves a bit better but not much.
Then someone said ping the site.
I did, it says my Ping Rate is 8498
but evryone was amazed that i told and said they have 50, 98, 110 ect. so way different than my 8498.
So figuring I had a clue to follow to maybe fix my issue. I have been reading, lots.
Then I remmbered I had used the a IP optimizer on dial up several years ago.
So I downloaded it.
But it is different than I remeber, i see no scan, optimise ect on it only for some of the tabs.
I did a PING analyser and it says this:

TCP options string = 020405b40103030001010402

MTU = 1500
MTU is fully optimized for broadband.

MSS = 1460
Maximum useful data in each packet = 1460, which equals MSS.

Default TCP Receive Window (RWIN) = 1460
RWIN Scaling (RFC1323) = 0 bits
Unscaled TCP Receive Window = 1460

RWIN seems to be set to a very small number. If you're on a broadband connection, consider using a larger value.
RWIN is a multiple of MSS
Other RWIN values that might work well with your current MTU/MSS:
513920 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 8)
256960 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 4)
128480 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 2)
64240 (MSS x 44)

bandwidth * delay product (Note this is not a speed test):

Your TCP Window limits you to: 58.4 kbps (7.3 KBytes/s) @ 200ms
Your TCP Window limits you to: 23.36 kbps (2.92 KBytes/s) @ 500ms
Consider increasing your RWIN value to optimize TCP/IP for broadband.

MTU Discovery (RFC1191) = ON

Time to live left = 53 hops
TTL value is ok.

Timestamps (RFC1323) = OFF
Selective Acknowledgements (RFC2018) = ON

IP type of service field (RFC1349) = 00000000 (0)

My question is what do i do with this info now? This is after I used the Optimiser and it shows I have 0 RWIN? hmm well can someone please explain how I change it and which of the numbers i use? i tried to do it in the optimizer program, but it did not change it because it still the same.
However, i am at 4000 ping now as long as i do not use the (stopservices command) if i do then it jumps back up to 8000 plus.

so yup, very confused female here that needs help in basic step by step instructions.
Thank you very much for any help and I am happy I found the site, Very cool.

homer

Expert
    Re: Confused disconecting person with a huge PING
    « Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 11:48:41 PM »
    i have very limited knowledge on "ip optimizers", but i believe they are a bunch of malarky. anyway, with that said, do you have any downloading apps running (limewire, bitcomet, etc.)?

some malware might also be sucking up your internet speed. what do you have for spyware/virus protection?

do you have a firewall?

could you please download and post a "Hijack This" log. you can get "hijack this" from here. it is a program that shows all running processes and services. it will also allow you to delete harmful entries.

!!!!!!DO NOT DELETE ANY ENTRIES WITHOUT FIRST SHOWING THE KNOWLEDGEABLE PEOPLE HERE. YOU CAN SERIOUSLY DAMAGE YOUR COMPUTER!!!!!!!

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 07:45:31 AM »
    I suggest you visit http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp and download DrTCP.  You can use it to change your RWIN value and maybe experiment with different values.  I suggest you run their Tweaks Test first; it will probably have similar advice to what you posted from your other source.  You could also run their Speed test.  Actually, running a speed test before and after changing the RWIN value is a good way to verify whether a change in RWIN helped or not.  You find their tests on http://www.dslreports.com/tools.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 10:32:46 AM »
    Yeah, 8400 ms is WAY too slow.  Instead of the PING command, try using the trace route command to see each hop from your computer to the Web site to see which one is the cause of the slow down.

For example, you might type in the CMD window:

TRACERT YAHOO.COM

The trace route results will show how many milliseconds it takes for your computer to reach the router in your home, then your ISP, then each stop on the way to the Web site.  If your ISP is the stop that takes the longest time, you can call them and see what they can do on their end.  If another site is the cause, you can do a Who Is look up on the Web to get the contact info for that site and call or e-mail them to ask why it is taking their server so long to pass on your packets.  Your ISP might even be able to do something to reroute traffic away from the site that is causing the bottleneck, depending on how tech savvy and helpful they are.
    « Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 10:37:31 AM by pcdoc4christ »

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 03:02:17 PM »
    You might also find >VisualRoute< to be a useful diganostic tool.
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2006, 06:37:16 PM »
    You might also find >VisualRoute< to be a useful diganostic tool.

Cool Tool!

Thanks for the link, Rob.

8-)

conelamor

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 01:04:40 PM »
    i made it back, sorry.
    I had connection issues and then i could not find where to reply, then went to log in and lost my pw. but im here, yes frustration is winning..lol

I  loved the info.

i wanted to post a big ty for the site to test the tracking for 1.
    that was neat, and i did the test in winxp for trouble shooting a connection.
    It shows passed on all but 1, that says failed 100% loss,
    I have a screen shot of it. can that be the problem or not?
    On high internet ping, I am looking at these things causing it:
    my pc ( higher that and  many on the same server ,same time)
    my internet- they say it is not their server, upped me from192 to 256, same problem.
    the game server (other ppl connected and not having lag, their ping is ar 16-100ms. mine was 30,000 last night.
    can it be my modem? i changed the cable, upped internet, got ip optomozer. no luck.
    Will go get the highjackthis, in one sec, hadit on my laptop but havent on this,
    PS this is a pretty new install of winxp on a clean drive,
    I also have a file for stopservices and startservices, for gaming, as many times winxp uses so many processes it doesnt leave much room for other things in it on a 256mg.
    will post in a sec the highjackthis log.
    Conelamor - Lacy

conelamor

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2006, 05:11:29 PM »
     ;DHi all, well after going bald and having piles of hair pulled out with frustration. We found the issue, And it was nothing I was looking at. Although the pc is running great..lol
    HIgh ping fixed by changinf the fan.
    yup.
    my on time that was the servers busy time that was also the mid day hot heat wave time. pc was over heating and how that raised the ping I have no idea but I now have a fan in the pc and one pointed at the pc in this 115 degree heat wave we have had.
    The ping is now sitting wonderfully at ... 50 - 80 ms. I can definately live with that,
    I wanted to say thank you very much for all the wonderful assistance.

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2006, 06:04:06 PM »
    Ping problem cured by fans! Now there's a headline.  ;)