Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: the infernal "operating system not found" message  (Read 3148 times)

markinoz

the infernal "operating system not found" message
« on: July 22, 2006, 05:21:15 PM »
i've just discovered the computer hope site and learned a lot about a problem that has been bugging us here for a few weeks now. unfortunately the problem seems to be either an entirely new one, unique and never before encountered by anyone in the history of computing or [undoubtedly] i've read the answer and in my ignorance missed the point.

any assistance on this will be greatly appreciated. we have a gateway solo 2500 that i would like to get running again as it has family stuff on it that i would like to recover.

the machine was left unused for a year or so before trying to turn it on, so the battery went flat. unfortunately it seems the cmos battery went flat too and the computer is unable to recognise itself.

on starting it up it goes into the boot sequence and always ends up saying 'operating system not found'. i assumed this meant that the cmos was not able to be read so the hard drive and windows cannot be located, though as a novice i may be way off beam.

when turned on the screen goes on to say;
bios version 10.12

cd-rom drive: identified
mouse initialised

operating system not found

and that's it.
entering the bios setup gives no joy as attempts to automatically detect the drive type gives no result and cycling through all the other 39 options failed to recognize the drive.

obviously i'm writing this on another computer. it's a dinosaur as well and trying to to download the bios files from the computerhope site meet with confusion, overload and the obvious need to get me a modern computer. the gateway site doesn't even accept the sereal number on the notebook anymore it's so old.

hopefully this can be fixed and we can finally get inside.
any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks for being there and having such a forum

mark. in oz

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: the infernal "operating system not found" mess
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 05:36:55 PM »
In my experience of resuscitating dead notebooks i finally got wise and bought a 2.5HDD to IDE adapter for about 12 bucks...it enables you to hook up that notebook hard drive to a desktop system and safely retrieve the data...
Grab the owners manual from Gateways site for instructions on removing the notebook drive.
Your local computer store will sell you the adapter when you explain your dilemna...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

markinoz

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 02:05:20 AM »
thanks very much for your reply and advice. realistically the computer is past it and what you recommend undoubtedly is the most practical course to take.
thanks again

buscobob

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 09:06:18 PM »
Floppy in drive A ?

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 09:48:03 PM »
Either the hard drive is dead or there is a problem with the IDE port on the motherboard. To test the hardware viability I would boot with a Linux Live CD and see if the machine works, and if you can access the drive.

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1152393515

If the drive is kaput, then you can either pay for some very expen$ive data recovery assistance if you want, but no guarantees there either.

Again, this emphasizes why regular backups are important and important data is NOT SAFE on a hard drive. They all die eventually.