Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: "Serial" device has ! mark (and some other probs)  (Read 8187 times)

hweiee

"Serial" device has ! mark (and some other probs)
« on: July 24, 2006, 08:00:42 AM »
Hi,

First off... the problem is that i want to use the infrared on my laptop and it doesn't seem to work... it was working well back then, when all of a sudden it doesn't work. I think there is a problem with "Wireless Link" in my control panel, nothing happens when i click on it. But in the device manager I get no indication of any problems with infrared.

I also noticed that in the device manager, "SERIAL" located under Non-plug-and-play drivers, has a yellow ! mark. Inside Propeties it says
This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed. (Code 24). It has a file located in /system32/drivers/serial.sys

Next, under Ports (COM and LPT), i only see Printer Port (LPT1).

I get the feeling that these are all related as to why my infrared on laptop is not working... because i read somewhere that infrared need a port or something.... i don't know...

Any help is greatly appreciated!
(I really hope to get infrared working so that i can transfer files between laptop and handphone)

P.S. I think you might want me to print my device manger information to a file... but I don't know how. Whenever i print it asks me to name the file... but didn't ask me where to save the file. In the end - no file created.

Thanks in advance!
Anticipating your help =D

squirrel

Re: "Serial" device has ! mark (and some other pro
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 08:08:53 AM »
What operating system?

What model laptop?

What processor?

When exactly did it stop working and what were you doing at the time?

hweiee

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 11:04:42 AM »
Windows XP Home. Service Pack 2.

Acer Travelmate 290...

AcerSystem
     Intel (R) Pentium (R) M processor 1500 MHz

Not sure, I don't remember doing anything out of the ordinary. The last time that i used infared was more than a few months back... recently, (last 2 weeks or so) i tried to use infrared and realised that it doesn't work.

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
    « Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 04:03:23 AM »
    I Recommend you Download and Reinstall the New Drivers

http://www.acersupport.com/notebook/html/tm290_dl.html
    Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

hweiee

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 06:48:06 AM »
    okay. I will try that and tell you how it goes.

erm... i don't reinstall the "802.11 Wireless Driver" can? because I updated the driver to the latest version as stated on the Intel ProSET driver website.... reason for updating was because i was experiencing very frequent wireless connection drops... now after updating it is all good.

hweiee

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 06:51:49 AM »
    oh... erm... I think the links on the ACER website are not working anymore. All of them.

for the infrared, i did try searching elsewhere on the internet for updating the drivers. I updated, but still doesn't seem to do any good. I have since reverted back to the old/default driver for infrared... just to be safe.

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
      « Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 06:59:19 AM »
      You could Try Driver Guide

http://Http://www.driverguide.com

They have Drvers for lots of Things
      Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice