Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cannot Download From Intel Site  (Read 3551 times)

Barefoot_Tom

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    Cannot Download From Intel Site
    « on: July 24, 2006, 08:30:09 AM »
    I am installing Win2000 on a computer. The hard drive was empty before the installation. The installation went fine, except I have only VGA graphics, and no sound. The problem is that I have an Intel chipset, and no drivers were installed for the chipset. I have no idea why.

I need a file called INFINST.EXE to proceed. I went to the Intel site, found the file, and tried to download it. It says it's downloading, but nothing happens. I have tried 2 different browsers with no luck.

I've tried to find alternate sites to download the drivers from, or the file itself, with no luck. I can find a site which will let me download a file of the same name, but an earlier version, which doesn't include WIN2000, but that's so far the best I can  do.

I would appreciate suggestions as to how I may get the file.
    If it would help, I have all the information on the computer itself; chipset, motherboard, etc., but since I have identified the problem that may not be relevant.
    Tom

squirrel

Re: Cannot Download From Intel Site
    « Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 08:32:42 AM »
    If it would help, I have all the information on the computer itself; chipset, motherboard, etc., but since I have identified the problem that may not be relevant.
    Tom

Better give us that information anyway.  Also, the processor type you are using.  Does PC have a sound card?

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 08:34:19 AM »
    I'm not sure that file alone will solve your problem.  I would not think that you would need the chipset drivers particularly.  Do you happen to know what soundcard and graphics card the computer has?  Do you have a make and model for the computer?
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Barefoot_Tom

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      « Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 09:05:34 AM »
      I'm not sure that file alone will solve your problem.  I would not think that you would need the chipset drivers particularly.  Do you happen to know what soundcard and graphics card the computer has?  Do you have a make and model for the computer?

The information I have is as follows:
        Computer:
            Operating System                                  Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
            OS Service Pack                                   Service Pack 2
            Internet Explorer                                 5.00.3315.1000 (IE 5.01 SP2 - Windows 2000)
                 Motherboard:
            CPU Type                                          Intel Celeron 4, 1733 MHz (4.25 x 408)
            Motherboard Name                                  Gigabyte GA-8LD533  (3 PCI, 2 DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)
            Motherboard Chipset                               Intel Brookdale-G i845GL
            System Memory                                     247 MB  (PC2100 DDR SDRAM)
            BIOS Type                                         Award Modular (11/26/02)
            Communication Port                                Communications Port (COM1)
            Communication Port                                Communications Port (COM2)
            Communication Port                                Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
            Video Adapter                                     Intel Extreme Graphics
            3D Accelerator                                    Intel Extreme Graphics

Multimedia:
            Audio Adapter                                     Intel 82801DB(M) ICH4(-M) - AC'97 Audio Controller [B-0]
      There is no graphics card or sound card installed.
      When I switch hard drives, and put in a hard drive running WIN98SE, everything behaves normally. Obviously, since the hard drive with Win2000 contains only that, something is missing. Checking the Intel site, it appears that the file I mentioned needs to be run, but I'll certainly accept any suggestions as to other ways to make up the deficiencies.
      Tom

squirrel

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 09:09:33 AM »
      Get a sound card.  The sound won't work unless you have a sound card!!!

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
        « Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 09:11:30 AM »
        Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

Barefoot_Tom

Topic Starter

Intermediate
          « Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 09:42:23 AM »
          Get a sound card.  The sound won't work unless you have a sound card!!!
          Sorry, that's not so. As I said, when I change hard drives (still no sound card) and put in one with Win98SE, the sound and graphics work fine.
          The chipset has bui;t-in sound and video capabilities, the trick is to find the drivers which will make them work.
          Tom

Barefoot_Tom

Topic Starter

Intermediate
            « Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 09:45:42 AM »
            These seem to be the Drivers for you mother Board

http://drivers.softpedia.com/progDownload/Gigabyte-GALDC-F-Download-14327.html

Thanks, I'm on another computer at the moment, but I've down;aoded the file, and will install it on the new computer, and see what happens. I'll let you know.
            Tom

Barefoot_Tom

Topic Starter

Intermediate
              « Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 10:12:51 AM »
              These seem to be the Drivers for you mother Board

http://drivers.softpedia.com/progDownload/Gigabyte-GALDC-F-Download-14327.html

Unfortunately, those weren't the drivers. The only chipset supported by that downloaded program was 4086.
              I'm going to that site again, and look around.
              Do you have any idea why I can't download from the Intel site?
              Tom

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
                « Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 10:25:42 AM »
                Perhaps some of these from the Intel's site, but there don't seem to be any for sound.

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=757&OSFullName=Windows*+2000&lang=eng&strOSs=19&submit=Go%21

*Is going home*
                Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

Barefoot_Tom

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                  « Reply #10 on: July 24, 2006, 11:18:00 AM »
                  Perhaps some of these from the Intel's site, but there don't seem to be any for sound.

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=757&OSFullName=Windows*+2000&lang=eng&strOSs=19&submit=Go%21

*Is going home*
                  I have no exxplanation, but I was finally able to download the file INFinst.exe from Intel's site. I'm going to give it a try, and I'll let you know what happens.
                  Tom

Barefoot_Tom

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                    « Reply #11 on: July 24, 2006, 03:59:59 PM »

I have no exxplanation, but I was finally able to download the file INFinst.exe from Intel's site. I'm going to give it a try, and I'll let you know what happens.
                    Tom

SUCCESS!! I ran the INFINST.EXE and it installed the video drivers. It did not, however, install the audio drivers. After a lot of head-scratching, this is what I did:
                        Took a hard drive containing Win98SE which i knew ran with sound on that computer, and installed it as a slave.
                        Booted the computer with Win2000, and re-installed the Audio controller. When asked for the location of the file containing information on the device I directed the computer to the slave drive \windows\inf directory. This worked.

I now have both sound and video on the computer with no sound or video cards.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.
                    Tom

GX1_Man

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2006, 06:50:53 PM »
                    Glad you are all fixed up and thanks for posting back.  ;)