Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: google rank  (Read 3974 times)

unlovedwarrior

Topic Starter

Guru

• someday this name will be known
    google rank
    « on: July 25, 2006, 01:50:29 PM »
    whats the google rank for websites? and whats it mean when mines a three? how i do get my site on search engines? :-?

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
      • Technology News and Information
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: google rank
    « Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 04:44:19 PM »
    whats the google rank for websites? and whats it mean when mines a three? how i do get my site on search engines? :-?
    Google Rank is part of the Google toolbar that shows how many people with the Google toolbar visit your site.
    The higher the rank goes, the more visitors you are getting.

Go to Google.com and find information on adding your site. You will need to find Google Help and look at the frequently asked questions. One of the first is "How do I add my site to Google?"

There is also something called "Rapid Submission" that you could use.

Make sure your site does not have a robots.txt file, as that may deter search engines from indexing your site.

It may take a while to get search engines to search your site. Indexing takes a long time.
    Ask friends to put a link to your site on their sites. Doing so will allow search engines to find the URL to your site.

unlovedwarrior

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 04:46:03 PM »
      k
      thanks

T-Chai

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 05:34:20 PM »
      Cool i didnt even know that.
      Another way for the search engine to find you site is, if you added the meta tag in to your site than the search engine would fine it.
      « Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 05:35:44 PM by T-Chai »

unlovedwarrior

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 10:35:36 PM »
        where can i get one and where do i put it? in the header body

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 11:38:23 PM »
        where can i get one and where do i put it? in the header body
        META tags only add keywords and descriptions to your site. They don't necessarily make search engines find your site faster, but they can make your results show more often.

Use this:
        http://resources.bravenet.com/minitools/meta_tag_generator/

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
          • Me
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 03:05:37 AM »
        Google Rank is part of the Google toolbar that shows how many people with the Google toolbar visit your site.
        Not quite!  >Read here<.

Make sure your site does not have a robots.txt file, as that may deter search engines from indexing your site.
        Bad advice, I'm afraid.  Indexing spiders use robots.txt files to discover quite what content they should be indexing.

Ask friends to put a link to your site on their sites. Doing so will allow search engines to find the URL to your site.
        Yes, if their sites are also indexed, but only once they are re-indexed.  The great advantage of getting links to your site on other sites is that it can improve your page rank (see above).

META tag keywords and descriptions should be used precisely and sparingly, since some search engines will decrease your ranking as a punishment for META tag spamming (e.g. repeating the same keyword multiple times).  META tags also have other uses incidentally.  They are "data about the data".
        Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
          • Yes
        « Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 12:58:33 PM »
        Not quite!  >Read here<.

Bad advice, I'm afraid.  Indexing spiders use robots.txt files to discover quite what content they should be indexing.

Yes, if their sites are also indexed, but only once they are re-indexed.  The great advantage of getting links to your site on other sites is that it can improve your page rank (see above).

META tag keywords and descriptions should be used precisely and sparingly, since some search engines will decrease your ranking as a punishment for META tag spamming (e.g. repeating the same keyword multiple times).  META tags also have other uses incidentally.  They are "data about the data".
        Boy! I got a lot of that wrong, didn't I!  :-[
        Now, I was 100% sure that the page rank was just a site meter to show how much traffic a site gets...
        OK, now re-educate me about a robots.txt file.... (and really, please do so)

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
          • Me
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006, 05:48:49 AM »
        Try Computer Hope search.  ;) ---> >click here<
        Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos