Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: another excel question  (Read 2426 times)

schedule-r

another excel question
« on: July 23, 2006, 11:44:09 PM »
Hi,
I'm trying to link particular cells in one sheet to cells in another sheet.  For example:  if a A1 takes on a value of "1" in my sheet 2, I want a value of "5" to appear in, say B10, in my sheet 3.  
I am trying to find how to link a cell in one sheet to a cell in a different sheet.   I'll save the crazy details, buy this is the stripped down version of what I am trying to do.  

Thanks.

Asking

Beginner
    Re: another excel question
    « Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 01:03:04 AM »
         Supposing you want to link the value of cell "A1" of Sheet 1 to cell "B1" of Sheet 2, you will just have to give cell "A1" a name (say, tax,  for instance), and then on cell "B1"  of Sheet 2, type: =tax.  This way, cell "B1" of Sheet 2 will showw the value of "A1" of Sheet 1.
         How to give a cell a name?  On the function bar at the top portion of Excel, on the far left hand side, you will find a box showing the cell number of the cell you have clicked.  You just change this number to whatever name yoiu like and hit ENTER.
         I hope this is what you are after.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 01:58:28 AM »
    You can also reference cells on a different sheet like this: Sheet1!A1
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 09:06:35 AM »
    Hi,
    I'm trying to link particular cells in one sheet to cells in another sheet.  For example:  if a A1 takes on a value of "1" in my sheet 2, I want a value of "5" to appear in, say B10, in my sheet 3.  
    I am trying to find how to link a cell in one sheet to a cell in a different sheet.   I'll save the crazy details, buy this is the stripped down version of what I am trying to do.  

Thanks.
    To link across sheets, you can use either method mentioned by previous replies.  I get the impression, from your "example", that your question is more involved than just linking across sheets.  
    Clearly, you're not simply referring to another cell when you say, "if a A1 takes on a value of "1" in my sheet 2, I want a value of "5" to appear in, say B10, in my sheet 3."   If you merely link to another cell, the destination cell will display the same value as the source cell.  But, your example says the source cell would contain 1 and the destination cell would display 5.  Can you clarify what you want to accomplish?
    « Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 09:07:34 AM by soybean »

schedule-r

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 11:08:38 AM »
    To go into more detail:

I have a range of  "1" and "0".  Each "1" denotes that an employee woks the designated shift in the range.  Well this is very messy because there are a handfull of shifts per day and even more employees per day.  So that is all in sheet one.  In my sheet two I have the schedule that the employees see -- a very easy to read calendar.  I want to transfer all of those "1" entries from my sheet 2 to the appropriate spaces on the calendar in sheet 3.   It seems very difficult to put conditional statements in this workbook that link sheets.

I have done it manually, but it every month I put a few more features in this ever-challenging task.

soybean

Genius
    « Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 12:50:06 PM »
    Well, I'm afraid your extra detail did little to make your Excel application any clearer.  I find it still quite confusing.  In first place, "I have a range of  "1" and "0" makes no sense.  A range is a cell or group of cells given a range name.  That range can then be referred to in formulas rather than using the cell address (A1, B1, etc.).  And "1" and "0" are not valid range names.

Then, you go on and say, with reference to your "range of  '1' and '0'", that "that is all in sheet one."   Then you say, "I want to transfer all of those "1" entries from my sheet 2".   Sheet 1, sheet 2, ..., which is it?  Then, you mention "the schedule that the employees see -- a very easy to read calendar" as being in sheet two, but then say, "I want to transfer all of those "1" entries from my sheet 2 to the appropriate spaces on the calendar in sheet 3."  Sheet two vs. sheet 3, for the calendar?  

Have you had any formal training on Excel?  Do you have Microsoft Access?  Do you know anything about it?  Have you ever thought of converting this application to Access?
    « Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 12:51:32 PM by soybean »

schedule-r

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 06:28:48 PM »
    No formal training in excel.  Never used Acess.  Just looking for help -- but you have failed.

soybean

Genius
    « Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 06:30:28 PM »
    Nope, you've failed to make sense.

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 06:34:38 PM »
    No formal training in excel.  Never used Acess.  Just looking for help -- but you have failed.

We have failed? How about you have failed to prepare yourself and take responsibility for your own learning?

Pretty abrasive for a newbie. How about you go get a book and do a little reading. Try the public library or Amazon.com

Once you figure out the basics you can ask some more relevant questions possibly.
    « Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 06:36:20 PM by GX1_Man »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 07:22:47 PM »
       schedule-r

Hummmmmmm , it is apparent that you know very little about Excel ......... now after saying that there is a button that is probably up in your top toolbar
      that is labeled HELP ......  It will give you all the answers you are looking for ..... and in fact , I just tested it to be sure it contained the info you are looking for ....... and surpise , surprise ... it's all there for the reading ..

Your comment and I quote .... " but you have failed" is totally out of order ......

Now if you would like to tell us exactly what it is your trying to do , and perhaps even go to the trouble of roughing out a spreadsheet , we could probably tell you how to do the task or ...... perhaps even suggest an alternate way of acheiving the same thing .

This is not intended as a slam re your issue , but rather a reminder that the members here all give of their time in an effort to assist others.........
      They do not appreciate being told ....that they have failed , when it was you in fact who failed to layout exactly what it was you wished to do .

dl65  ::)
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
        • Me
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #10 on: July 27, 2006, 02:32:59 AM »
      you have failed.
      Eek!

Point taken?
      Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos