Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Formatting  (Read 3456 times)

glenafton

Topic Starter

Beginner

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • Experience: Familiar
    Formatting
    « on: September 06, 2004, 09:21:24 PM »
    I run XP Home on my computer.  It is continually crashing and giving me error messages.  I have tried to reformat my hard drive so that I can start afresh but  all I get is the message that I cannot format the disk from which I am running windows.  Can someone help?
    glenafton

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Formatting
      « Reply #1 on: September 06, 2004, 11:07:25 PM »
      glenafton.......Here's why.
      The most common scenario for this is that the operating system itself is using the drive. For example you can't FORMAT C: if Windows itself resides on or is using C:. The only way to format a drive in use by the system is to reboot, usually from floppy, so the system isn't running. Be careful - this usually means you are wiping out your system - I'm assuming that's what you want.

Hope this answers your question.
      dl65  ???

« Last Edit: September 06, 2004, 11:08:32 PM by dl65 »
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

glenafton

Topic Starter

Beginner

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
        • Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 12:04:31 AM »
        Many thanks dl65.  Can you tell me please how to reboot from a floppy?
        glenafton.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 12:26:21 AM »
          glenafton.....First you need a floppy bootdisk.....I use a win98 bootdisk (it works just fine) .....A boot disk has a few files on it to start up your pc when there's no operating system. It must have both Format and Fdisk
          on it. If you dont have one go to Bootdisk.com and D/L one. So shut down the pc ......insert the floppy in drive A : and start . when it loads and displays an A: prompt... FDISK and enter....   Fdisk will load and then choose option 4 ....display partitions ......once you see how its partitioned ....delete all partitions.. then check to be sure there are none left ( use option 4 ) when they are all removed ......at the A:prompt    type
          FORMAT C:     you will get a warning saying you will lose all data do you wish to continue........answer YES   press enter.  now it will begin to format ....this will take a while....when its finished ....with the boot disk still in drive A reboot the machine .......when the A: prompt is displayed type D:    ( or whatever your cd drive is ) and the A: prompt will change to D: ( or whatever ) now open the cd drive and put in the XP disk ....close the drive and type SETUP and enter ( If setup doesnt work use INSTALL)  Now XP will start to load ......answer the questions and in about 40 minutes your done .......Dont forget to remove the floppy from drive A:......
          Once XP is installed .......install your anti virus program....then go to Microsoft Update site and D/L the necessary updates .....now you will be able to D/L and install SP2 ......Now reinstall your programs and you back in business .
          DONT forget to make a copy of your WAB   ( windows address book ) then you wont lose your E mail address's.
          Don't forget to activate Windows when your finished .
          Hope this helps you .

dl65  ???
          « Last Edit: September 07, 2004, 12:31:42 AM by dl65 »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 12:36:16 AM »
            glenafton.......I am a little concerned as to why you have been getting all the error messages you mentioned earlier.....Win XP is very stable and if you had the updates current and did some regular upkeep it should just work.......
            I was just wondering what sort of error messages you were getting ......its not important now as you doing a clean install but if you can remember ...it may prevent this sort of thing from happening again.

cheers
            dl65  ???