Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Burning problem  (Read 3429 times)

daveg48

Burning problem
« on: July 26, 2006, 06:29:59 AM »
I have Nero 6 and can't burn anything, CD or DVD.  I have sent the error message that I get to Nero support and they say it may be my disc.  I am useing Staples discs.  They also say it may be a power problem that my burner should not be sharing power with anything else.  Does that mean I need a separate power supply just for the burner.  I have two burners, not used at the same time, but do they each need a spearate supply?

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Burning problem
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 07:47:39 AM »
Have you been able to burn in the past with the same hardware and software?  No, you don't "need a separate power supply just for the burner."  But, it may help not to do any other tasks on your computer while trying to burn a CD.  In fact, I believe that will give you the best chance of getting a successful burn and should be the normal practice when burning; just let the computer do that one task when you've started burning.

What is the power rating, in Watts, of the power supply unit in your computer?  Were these two drives added after you bought your computer?  Did they replace older optical drives or were they additions to your system?

Have you experimented with changing the burning speed?  What speed were you using when you tried to burn?  You have both a CD burner and a DVD burner, right?  And, you have not been able burn with either of them, right?  Are you sure you're using Nero correctly?  What happens when you try to burn?  Do the process appear to start and then stop, or what?  Do you get an error message?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 07:49:25 AM by soybean »

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 09:40:04 AM »
Some details of the system are always helpful. See below.

daveg48

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 04:39:39 PM »
Yep I understand that you may have needed more info and I am sorry.  Running XP, I don't know the powner rating but the drives were added (changed out) for the oringinal units which were not dvd burners.  The power supply has been changed also.  Not sur I am using Nero correctly but how hard can it be?  I know that changing the burning speed may help.  The process will start and run and get almost all the way through and stop with an error message.  I can't understand the message, too technical for me.  
Got another email today from Nero support they say there may be some interfering software on the computer and want me to do a clean operation with so download they have.  Maybe that will help'.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 04:53:12 PM »
I have never heard of separate power supplies, or separate power plug cables for optical drives. Power is power.

I usually use name brand media, but have used Office Depot CDR's without difficulty and I suspect whoever makes them for the name brands makes them for OD as well. ($4.99 for a 50 count spindle is hard to pass up!  ;D) Usually you can find Sony, Memorex, etc. for $7.99 on sale occasionally also.

It's hard to tell what all is in your registry or system if it has been a while since Windows was installed. Nero has never given me any problems, through several versions.

I usually butn at 24-32X (even with a 52X drive) but burn operating systems (Linux varieties) at 4X and don't have any problems. I am just a creature of habit about this, but I don't get coaster.

What about some details of the machine itself?

soybean

Genius
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 05:30:05 PM »
What software did Nero suggest you download for some cleanup?  Did you use it and then try burning again?  

I suggest you download CCleaner and clean your system with it.  I can't guarantee it will make any difference, but it may be worth a try.

daveg48

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 09:53:25 AM »
Nero sent this for me to clean the system, ftp://ftp9.nero.com/attach/cleanpack.zip .  I ran it and slowed the speed down to 4X and still did not burn.  Got another error message.  I have sent it to Nero and am waiting.  
In the meantime I used BunOn and finally got a successful burn on this little 6mg project I was wanting to put on disc.  Just got luck I guess.  

soybean

Genius
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 09:57:44 AM »
I suggest you download CCleaner and clean your system with it.  I can't guarantee it will make any difference, but it may be worth a try.