Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Ill-logical drive  (Read 2083 times)

KRO

Ill-logical drive
« on: July 25, 2006, 01:20:24 PM »
Hi. I'm having a little problem with fdisking a 6Gb hard drive, which I use to test different things on. I want to make three partitions, so I use my '98 startup disc and run fdisk. The drive won't let me delete the extended DOS partition because it says that I have logical drives which need to be removed first. Well when I try to delete them, it says they are not defined. So now what? The extended DOS part is only 290Mb.
I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks. :-/

GX1_Man

Re: Ill-logical drive
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 04:50:28 PM »
You can use a Windows 98 boot disk to do this, assuming the drive geometry is correct. If you continue to have problems, you can also download a Linux CD (Slackware Disk 1, for instance) and use the CFDISK utility to remove ALL partitions. A borrowed Win2000 or XP disk will do it also.

KRO

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 08:19:40 AM »
Thank you for your reply, GX1_Man. Since posting, I did find my Win 98 boot disc and used it to totally reinstall Windows 98 all on one partition. Then I went to fdisk and partitioned it for three drives and formated and installed '98 on one of them. Quite a hassle, and a lot of time. I'm going to try again to install Linux Ubuntu on one of the partitions. Do you think I'll have any problem putting it on a 2 Gb partition? Anyway thanks for the help.
Ken :D

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 09:21:22 AM »
2 gigs isn't much, but it will probably fit. THe newest version may be too resource intensive. I am not sure what hardware we are working with. I could advise better if I knew that. Glad you are all fixed up though!  ;)

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 09:40:19 AM »
If you're planning on using a graphical install of Ubuntu (i.e. as a workstation, not as a server), you will quickly run out of elbow room on a 2GB partition.  You should probably be aiming at 10GB as a minimum, partly because there's just so much free software available (much of which will not drain your system resources, other than hard drive space, in any discernible way).
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos