Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: pc constantly restarts prob malware related?  (Read 26826 times)

price

Re: pc constantly restarts prob malware related?
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2006, 07:18:04 PM »
srry i been going crazy for the last 3 days trying to fix this

ok at first it froze after about 15 minutes on
i restarted it and then continued the game i was playing then again after about 10-15 minutes it froze a second time
i then restarted again
then i continued to play my game again
this time it just restarted and now im here

the yellow exclamation points have been there the entire time look on page 2 post 2 it has the pic of it attached

GX1_Man

« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2006, 07:26:02 PM »
What happens if you remove the add on cards - modem, etc. in there, but particularly the modem?

What happens if you remove the side panel and blow a big fan directly in there? Any difference?

Have you removed and reseated the RAM? Tested it? (www.memtest86.com for a free bootable floppy or CD). Check each stick for an hour or so individually, then all together.

Remove the optical drives and see if this affects the problems.

You have to do this systematically to remove all of the variables and then add one thing in at a time to see if it causes the failure.

What is showing in event viewer from the crashes?

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/snap_event_viewer.mspx?mfr=true

Just to review:

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1149804407
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 07:28:04 PM by GX1_Man »

price

« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2006, 07:33:15 PM »
What happens if you remove the add on cards - modem, etc. in there, but particularly the modem?

What happens if you remove the side panel and blow a big fan directly in there? Any difference?

Have you removed and reseated the RAM? Tested it? (www.memtest86.com for a free bootable floppy or CD). Check each stick for an hour or so individually, then all together.

Remove the optical drives and see if this affects the problems.

You have to do this systematically to remove all of the variables and then add one thing in at a time to see if it causes the failure.

What is showing in event viewer from the crashes?

Just to review:

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1149804407

ok im not sure what u mean by some of those terms im not good when it comes to the internal part of the pcc just learning still

#1 remove modems cards - do u mean literally open the pc and remove the cards?

#2 i dought that its over heating but ill try the fan thing (pc is hardly ever on)

#3 ram - do u want me to take it out and replace it right away? in the same spot? or remove it then start up windows again ?

#4 optic drives?

You have to do this systematically to remove all of the variables and then add one thing in at a time to see if it causes the failure. - huh?

#6 What is showing in event viewer from the crashes? - weres it that?

ohh but by the way  everything has been in working order before it all started messing up lil by lil ever since we switched internet providers my wireless modem dont even work no more i cant get my other pc up running
we switched from rogers high speed cable over to  execulink dial up then to execulink high speed pppoe

do u think this could have had any affect?

im so srry if u really dont wanna explain all those things i dont blame u

price

« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2006, 07:36:23 PM »
what part of the event viewer do u wanna see?

application
security
system

GX1_Man

« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2006, 07:40:59 PM »
#1 remove modems cards - do u mean literally open the pc and remove the cards?

Yes, physically remove them.

#2 i dought that its over heating but ill try the fan thing (pc is hardly ever on)
Famous last words.

#3 ram - do u want me to take it out and replace it right away? in the same spot? or remove it then start up windows again ?

Remove it, then put it back in, making sure it is firmly seated in same spot.

#4 optic drives?

CDR, DVD, etc. drives

#5 You have to do this systematically to remove all of the variables and then add one thing in at a time to see if it causes the failure. - huh?

Don't try all of these suggestions at once. If something works you will never know exactly what it was. This can be a learning experience. (Ever heard that one before?) Try each one and then try running the machine for a while to see if the problem continues, changes, or goes away.

#6 What is showing in event viewer from the crashes? - weres it that?

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/snap_event_viewer.mspx?mfr=true

ohh but by the way  everything has been in working order before it all started messing up lil by lil ever since we switched internet providers my wireless modem dont even work no more i cant get my other pc up running
we switched from rogers high speed cable over to  execulink dial up then to execulink high speed pppoe

do u think this could have had any affect?

Any hardware or software change has the potential to cause problems. Let's just take our time. It's not time to toss that machine to the curb.  ;)

price

« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2006, 09:06:19 PM »
i have scanned for spyware/viruses/adware/malware.
i updated windows a vew days ago sp2 package i think it was.
tested hdd said i have to restart then it does a 5 0f 5 step thing before logging on windows came back to pc and it was logged in so musta did what it was supposed to.

ok i have disconnected all cards and reconnected them.
i have disconnested all ram and then reconnected them.
i also shoved a fan in there for a good 2 minutes ( mayber longer? ).

didnt do nothing with optic drives.

im dumb i did do it all at once but ill do it 1 by 1 letting it run for awhile afterwards to see what it might be  ( srry i shoulda waited).
i did find event viewer but it gives me 3 options of things i can look at these include.

application .
security.  
system .

quick question i dont use dial up no more so should i just remove the dial up modem from my pc?

things yet to do tonight

disk clean up
disk defragment
another scan with avg
power supply test
system teperature check
and a test ur ram thing (says for best results run overnight )

1 more question
would it help to just disable or remove the devices cuasing problems?
in driver agent it says some of my drivers r bad but when i go to devise managment  and go to properties of that driver it says its working properly?
but then in device managment there r 2 that have a yellow exclaimatrion point?

again ty for ur help thus far i will return tomarrow after doing everything i had said and give u updates

GX1_Man

« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2006, 04:34:10 AM »
The problem with Driver Agent is that in the end they want to sell you their service (and too expensive, I might add). They will no doubt ALWAYS find something that they can fix for a fee.  ;)

I would just physically take the modem out if not being used.

price

« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2006, 07:55:05 AM »
ok i have done
*censored* clecnup
disk defragment
avg virus scan
removed the dial up modem (have a suspicioun that that is the problem)
i didnt do power supply test casue it asked for info about my pc andf im not really sure what everything is thats in my pc
but now ima just let it run for a lil bit and see if the dial up modem was the problem  then 1 by 1 ill remove other components and let the system run a lil bit see if we can figure it out

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
    « Reply #53 on: July 28, 2006, 08:20:11 AM »
    make sure to see if the cpu fan is clean and the other fans inside your computer are clean. cuz i was working on a computer that kept restarting on me and all i did was clean the fans with cotton qtips.  just a suggestion

price

« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2006, 09:20:48 AM »
    ok will do
    were bound to figure it out soon or a later  trial and error

price

« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2006, 10:08:10 AM »
    ok i cleaned both fans with qtips and my vacum lol cleaned the whole inside of pc, also removed dial up modem lets see how she works

seems to be running alot faster since last night
    hope she dont restart or freeze   *crosses fingas*
    « Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 10:09:19 AM by price »

unlovedwarrior

Guru

« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2006, 10:10:43 AM »
      dont put a fan in front of the computer k. so we can see if it was just overheating and restarting

price

« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2006, 10:47:00 AM »
      omg i think that was all it was my pc is running faster
      i got 3 programs open (which i couldnt do before) it would rerstart if i did

plus i been on for about half hour now and its not freezing or rerstarting

unlovedwarrior

Guru

« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2006, 10:48:46 AM »
        so it was either and/or both overheating or bad dail-up modem

price

« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2006, 10:49:45 AM »
        thanxs for ur help guys i appreciate it and plus i learned a lot from u guys just helping me stuff i nver even knew about before and the good programs u guys suggested like hijackthis