Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: strange outlook problem  (Read 2691 times)

mrwill

strange outlook problem
« on: July 25, 2006, 09:08:49 AM »
I'm having a strange problem with outlook. when I try to use it to connect t
o my email server it gives me an error if I don't turn off my anti-virus ema
il scanner because my email service already has a scanner. I forgot to turn
it off the last time I checked my mail and the error window popped up. I clo
sed the window and outlook, disabled the email scanner and tried to reconnec
t. now outlook opens, but so does part of the blue top of another window (no
t the whole window) this is not allowing me to click on anything in outlook.
 The part of the window just flashes. Any thoughts?

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: strange outlook problem
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 09:29:01 AM »
Have you closed Outlook or rebooted since this behaviour started?  You should not incidentally need to turn off your virus checker just because your ISP uses one!
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

mrwill

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 09:35:27 AM »
yes I have rebooted. Same problem. I don't think I should have to turn off the email scanner either, but they said that would cause a connection error, and that worked. but I still get that weird half opened window. I rebooted my computer in safe mode and same thing.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 09:42:42 AM »
Are you using any spyware/malware removal tools to keep your system clean?  Do you run any disk cleanup tools such as Windows Disk Cleanup or >CCleaner<?  The prompting to turn off your email scanner is a suspicious item.  

mrwill

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 09:46:08 AM »
I run spybot. Windows is not prompting me to turn off the email scanner if that is what you mean. My ISP is telling me to. When I first set it up and turned it off everything worked fine. Outlook could connect with no problems. It seems like I might have to uninstall outlook then reinstall.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 09:54:55 AM »
Exactly how do you know that your ISP is telling you to turn off your anti-virus scanner?  Have they sent you an email telling you this?  Have you contacted them by phone?  

mrwill

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 10:47:48 AM »
I talked to them on the phone. they walked me through the setup.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 11:40:04 AM »
Yes, you can try uninstalling and reinstalling Outlook.  If you do so, you should export your email settings so that you can import them after reinstalling Outlook.  You may also want to export, Contacts, Calendar, etc.  

But, I think I'd be inclined to uninstall your anti-virus software first and see whether that solves the problem.  And, I'd also run CCleaner before reinstalling your anti-virus software and before testing Outlook with your anti-virus software uninstalled.

If, indeed, you can not retrieve email with your anti-virus software enabled, how do you plan to utilize it?  Periodically run a full scan or what?  What anti-virus software are you using?

The stated requirement by the ISP of turning off anti-virus software makes no sense to me, and it doesn't sound right to robpomeroy either.  Think about it.  Once your email has been scanned for viruses by your ISP and is on it's way to your computer, what difference should it make whether you have anti-virus software enabled and monitoring your incoming mail?  

My ISP is Earthlink.  They scan all mail for viruses.  That has no effect on me retrieving mail with Outlook with my anti-virus software enabled.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 11:43:37 AM by soybean »

mrwill

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 11:58:35 AM »
thanks for the replies. I have a few things I'm going to try.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006, 12:31:32 PM »
Let us know how it goes.  Another thought: you might set up your email account in Outlook Express and see whether you can retreive email, without and with your anti-virus software enabled.  I'm not suggesting you permanently switch to OE; this would be just for troubleshooting purposes.

harinath

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 02:48:17 AM »
hi try and re-config the outlook express, what you have done is perfect, your outlook could have been blocked because of the scanner too, cant say try and get in touch with them, else re-config your outlook, what is the mail server you are using, lemme knw i will see if i can give you a proper solution. i have worked o this before i was a troubleshooter for  a networking company. takecare  - paul.http://