Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Trouble with WinXP installation  (Read 2761 times)

Athena

Trouble with WinXP installation
« on: July 23, 2006, 11:43:38 AM »
Hi! I'm a total newbie in this forum and I am desperate, so pls help!  :-?
I have formatted my hard drive and tried to reinstall win xp pro. The pc seems to install the initial files and displays "your computer will reboot, the installation will continue after rebooting". After rebooting though, it does not continue, it installs the same files again, displays the same messages and reboots. It's driving me crazy, doing the same thing over and over again. I tried formatting again but it didn't work.
Has anyone come across anything like that? Please help, I'm about  to beat the tower [smiley=angry.gif]into a pulp

pcdoc4christ

Re: Trouble with WinXP installation
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 12:04:42 PM »
Athena:

When Windows Setup begins to reboot, press and hold in the power button on the computer to turn the power off, wait 10 seconds, then press the press the power button again.  Windows setup will then try to continue the installation where it stalled.

If this does not work, let us know.  There are other things you can try.

Doc
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 12:05:32 PM by pcdoc4christ »

Athena

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 12:50:54 PM »
It does not seem to work, I'm afraid  :-[ :'(

Let me give you some more details.  I have an 80 GB HD which I have formatted.
After booting, the screen displays "detecting IDE drives"  then starts to go pretty slowly (it's only a 2,6 celeron but it used to run much more quickly) After a 30 sec delay it seems to find all the devices. After another 30 sec delay it displays "verifying DMI pool data  boot from cd" and about  20 sec after that  "setup is inspecting your computer's current configuration". Then everything goes black for a minute or two (not even the cursor is visible) and then the initial blue screen of windows  setup appears. It gives me two choices,  enter and exit installation.
If I click enter, it displays that there is 76 GB of free space out of the ~77 of the hdd (calls that partition 1) and 8 MB unpartitioned space. It prompts me to choose the partition where I want to install and when I choose partition 1 it warns me that there are already windows files installed and that it it not recommended to have two operation systems in the same partition. If I choose to continue I can install windows in a folder other than C:/windows or I can push L and it deletes C:/windows and rewrites it. Then it gives me 15 secs and reboots. After reboot we are back to sqware 1.
If I choose exit installation in the blue screen it reboots and... here we are, back where we started.
Hope you're still online Doc... :'(

Athena

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 01:43:20 PM »
It seems I am pretty stupid. :-[  [smiley=thumbdown.gif]
I had set the HD as master (I used to have a 200GB HD on the pc) and had not removed the jumper after removing the slave hd[smiley=tongue.gif]After removing the jumper, everything works as fast as they used to... and setup continues!!!! [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]
Thank you very much for your time and your quick answer! [smiley=dankk2.gif] [smiley=engel017.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 05:48:34 PM »
Good thinking, Athena!  Come back and see us any time.

8-)