Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: can't install font  (Read 9056 times)

dorothyroeder

Re: can't install font
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2006, 10:18:39 AM »
It won't work to uninstall just Windows? Does everything have to go?

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2006, 10:33:59 AM »
Yes, everything has to go.  I'm assuming your entire hard drive is in one primary partition.  In other words, it's all drive C.  If you format and reinstall Windows, you could partition your hard drive, or split it into partitions, which Windows recognizes as separate drives.  That way, you can install Windows on drive C but use another "drive" (actually a partition) to store all the files you create.  And, if you ever need to format your C drive again, you can format only the C partition; the other partition(s) can be left alone and the files you saved on that/those partition(s) will still be there.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 10:40:06 AM by soybean »

dorothyroeder

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2006, 10:47:44 AM »
So I should wipe the disk again?

Not a pleasant thought. I have to download all those Windows updates, Norton and its updates on a modem. takes forever. And I only have a floppy for backup, so it takes a long time to reinstall files.

dorothyroeder

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2006, 10:48:27 AM »
Yes everything is on one drive.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2006, 11:02:07 AM »

dorothyroeder

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2006, 11:06:47 AM »
Too broke at the moment to even get a new graphics card.

How big a partition should I make for OS. If I made it big enough would I be able to upgrade to XP later without having to erase everything?

soybean

Genius
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2006, 11:18:52 AM »
Dorothy, your computer is probably not a good candidate for upgrade to Win XP.  Can you post some of the specs on it?  Processor speed, size of hard drive, amount of RAM installed and maximum RAM it can use if additional memory is added?  

I have a computer running Win 98SE, with a partitioned hard drive.  The OS partition is only 1.5GB.  It's only about 50% full, although I don't have a lot programs installed.  Keep in mind you can install programs on other than C drive with a partitioned drive, if your C drive becomes cramped for space.

dorothyroeder

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2006, 11:28:05 AM »
Is this what you need - from sys info?

Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A
Upgrade using Full OEM CD /T:C:\WININST0.400 /SrcDir=D:\WIN98 /IZ /IS /IQ /IT /II /NR /II /C  /U:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
IE 5 6.0.2800.1106
Uptime: 0:01:52:09
Normal mode
On "V5E4N0" as "Dorothy Roeder"

GenuineIntel x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 3
512MB RAM
60% system resources free
Windows-managed swap file on drive C (16775MB free)
Available space on drive C: 16775MB of 19459MB (FAT32)

20 GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive, 7200RPM
upgraded to 512 MB RAM which seems to be working fine since I took out the 128 stick.

I don't do games or much downloading of music and stuff so I don't use huge bytes of storage.

A computer repairman told me XP would work. I wish he had told me to partition the disk.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2006, 11:44:47 AM »
Oh, yeah, I forgot about you having 512MB of memory; that's quite enough for Win XP.  And, your hard drive is fine.  Still don't know what processor you have.  What model computer is it?  And, does it have a separate video card or use onboard video?  WinXP can be a little finicky about working with older hardware.

Since you have 20 Gig HD, you could make your OS partition at least 2 Gig, maybe 3, for Win 98.  However, if you think you might upgrade to Win XP, then make the OS partition a good bit larger, perhaps 7 - 10 Gigs.  Win XP has features such as System Restore and Hibernation which need a significant amount to space.  
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 11:45:38 AM by soybean »

dorothyroeder

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2006, 11:50:19 AM »
Its a Dimension XPS T800. Pentium III

AGP Graphics card
Integrated Yamaha XG Voice......, Yamaha 724 DS-1 chip set.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2006, 11:58:39 AM »
With Pentium III, you should be fine.

dorothyroeder

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2006, 12:00:15 PM »
So how much space to make for XP on this reformat?

soybean

Genius
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2006, 12:19:36 PM »
As previously said, "However, if you think you might upgrade to Win XP, then make the OS partition a good bit larger, perhaps 7 - 10 Gigs.  Win XP has features such as System Restore and Hibernation which need a significant amount to space."  My guess is 7 Gig would be plenty, probably more than enough.  It's hard to say without knowing the details of how many programs you want to install.  Again, programs can still be installed on D if necessary.  And, if you usually store your files in Win XP's My Documents folder, which, by default, is on the OS partition, you can and should move it to D.  

dorothyroeder

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2006, 12:22:59 PM »
Are you talking about putting XP on its own partition and leaving 98? I was planning on dumping it. I am tired of the hangups which is how all this started I think.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2006, 12:31:30 PM »
dump 98.