Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Buying a New Laptop  (Read 2167 times)

Fletch

Buying a New Laptop
« on: August 05, 2006, 03:11:43 PM »
Time to retire my beast.  I have been looking online for a new laptop and I see a lot that I like, but my search has turned up relatively little regarding notebooks that are rated for 3-d modeling and CAD capabilities.  Does anybody know of any laptops that are particularly good for handling these applications?  Or any websites that discuss such computers?  I'm not looking for a powerhouse or anything, just a machine that will handle decently with 3-d studio and AutoCAD.  And perhaps the most important question is, do they have a payment plan?  I don't think I can chop that tree down with one swing, though I might be able to manage in three or four swings.

GX1_Man

Re: Buying a New Laptop
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 06:56:01 PM »
Maybe one of those nice Dell Precision models?

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
    « Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 08:32:49 PM »
    chat with a tech support guy from each company and ask them what notebook they recommend for this activities  ;D

jrniel

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 11:27:14 PM »
    My notebook needs are pretty different than yours, but I'll second GX1_Man's suggestion that you look at the Dell Precision models.  With what you're asking for, I'd think maybe either the M70 or M90 might be worth looking into.

For what it's worth, I don't buy notebooks to compete with desktops, so I go for cheap and light, rather than super powerful.  Never made much sense to me to spend a fortune on a notebook, which has a much better chance of being banged up in your travels or even ripped off.  Therefore, I might not be speaking to your needs very well. Recently, though, I've been looking hard at the Precisions. since a hurricane evacuation with a big fat CPU in the trunk got real old, real fast.  I've never been able to stand Dell desktops, but their notebooks have always seemed to work very reliably.

Last point:  In keeping with my "buy it cheap" philosophy, I've bought three Dell notebooks as refurbs over the years - from the Dell Outlet Store, not a third party vendor. Each time, the thing worked like a champ and was reasonably well supported by Dell. Before writing this, I went and took a look at M70's at the Outlet, and found a few in the $1300-1400 range that looked pretty nice. Might be worth a look. Of course, someone else might have horror stories about Dell refurbs. Maybe I've been just very lucky.  But they seem to be pretty carefully prepared before being sold.  Might save you a few bucks.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 11:32:23 PM »
    I have used Dell refurbs without incident. Same as new warranty.  ;)

Fletch

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 08:56:06 AM »
    I'll admit I'm a little biased against dell (maybe it's those stupid commercials) but I'll check it out.  My HP laptop was refurbished, too, though I bought it through u-bid.  It has had a couple of issues since I bought it which I never addressed with the manufacturer, though I should have.  As long as the warrantee is good on a new one, I think I'll be alright; mine only had 90 days.  I've heard and agree with all of the arguments for desktops over notebooks, but I'm a traveling man, so despite all of those great reasons, a desktop just won't work for me.

Despite all of my laptop's little gliches and twitches, it has traveled well.  I've been around the world with it twice and it has been beaten, squeezed, twisted, doused with dirt and sand, splashed and frozen.  I guess you might see why I'm a little attached.

Thanks for all the help guys.  I'll check out the Dells.

Fletch

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 02:58:27 PM »
    Well, I called Dell and they recommended the XPS, which happens to be about their highest end model.  I'm sold, but has anybody heard anything I ought to know about it?