Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer tower running all the time?!  (Read 3512 times)

Ozzie

Computer tower running all the time?!
« on: July 27, 2006, 05:50:17 PM »
My mom's computer tower is loading all the time, it makes like a running/loading noise constantly. And usually when this starts to 'load' or 'run' it makes the computer screen freeze and sometimes I will have to push ctrl. alt. delete to get out of the computer screen or the internet web page I have up. I try to go to control panel and free up space on the hardrive but it sits for like half and hour and it doesn't even clean anything up. Just wondering what the problem is?

GX1_Man

Re: Computer tower running all the time?!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 05:55:09 PM »
Maybe if you posted all the specs on the computer, operating system, major software, etc. we could advise you.  ;)

Ozzie

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 01:49:48 PM »
It's an hp pavilion mx704, that's what it says on the monitor. On the tower it says: 520 Intel Pentium processor w/hyper threading technology. 512 MB, 160 GB. She has Window's XP. That's pretty much all I can tell you, I don't know much about computers.

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 03:07:52 PM »
    Does it do it when you are NOT connected to the internet, try unplugging connection.

Neil

Expert
    • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
      « Reply #4 on: July 29, 2006, 03:07:24 AM »
      Is this loading noise accompanied with the harddrive light? It could be a noisy fan.

Ozzie

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2006, 07:07:29 PM »
      Yes it continues to load/run when I'm not connected or when the computer is just sitting, and there is nobody on it. The harddrive light is not on when it does this, is the harddrive light in the front of the computer? If so, it's not on. Just the power button which is on the front and is always lit up blue, that's the button for on and off.

Fed

• Sage
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #6 on: July 29, 2006, 07:11:28 PM »
        Can you describe what you mean by 'load/run'?

Neil

Expert
        • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
          « Reply #7 on: July 30, 2006, 07:05:34 AM »
          If the harddrive light is not on, it is possibly a noise fan. You should have a light near the powerlight for your harddrive. Watch it when you start your computer, if it flashes on and off when you load windows or a program, but stops when your computer is idle, that'll be your harddrive light. They are usually red, or orange.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #8 on: July 30, 2006, 08:40:37 AM »
          Some CDRoms will run constantly as well... i suggest removing a side panel and investigating the sound further...

Keep us posted.

patio.   8-)
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "