Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: making a ping script in win-xp  (Read 3266 times)

sanjaybijapur

Topic Starter

Beginner

making a ping script in win-xp
    « on: August 05, 2006, 01:05:15 AM »
    Hi all  

I am using Windows xp OS and need help on a two simple issues. I'll really appreciate if you can help me.

Issue 1.  I want to ping an IP address continuosly and log the ping results as text file.  If it is possible, I want to execute both commands(ping and log) in the same line. What would be the correct command syntax? (I mean I need to execute both ping and log with one "ENTER")

PS: I have to see the ping reply packets on the screen while it is being logged at the same time.

Issue 2. I need to ping 20 IP addresses on 20 command line windows at the same time, log the ping results as well. In other words I need to do Issue one on 20 windows and 20 IP addresses. Could you help me how to create a script about do Issue 2 with one command?  

command line window 1: pings and logs 172.17.48.2,
    command line window 2: pings and logs 172.17.49.2,
    command line window 10: pings and logs 172.17.48.66

Thank in advance for helping  :)
    « Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 01:33:12 AM by sanjaybijapur »

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: making a ping script in win-xp
    « Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 01:37:36 AM »
    You probably need to ask these questions in the DOS or Programming forums.  But first, a caveat.  Unless you are responsible for the target machine, you should think twice before running a continuous ping against it.  Most site admins would consider it a breach of netiquette.  That said, I assume you want to do this to test whether one of your own systems is up, which is fine.  Choose a reasonable delay between pings, to keep bandwidth use down.
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

sanjaybijapur

Topic Starter

Beginner

Re: making a ping script in win-xp
      « Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 02:26:05 AM »
      OK ROB THANKS, I ll PUT THIS IN PROGRAMS NOW