Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Video artifacting  (Read 2195 times)

Sogekihei

Video artifacting
« on: July 28, 2006, 06:35:08 PM »
Hey guys... I just built my new compy which consists of Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe, 2g Corsair XMS DDR2 6400, 650W PSU, BFG 7900GTX, and Creative X-Fi platinum

After about 10 minutes of playing any Gfx intensive games the textures start to artifact... They develop little color splotches here an there.  Not long after that the things multiply until eventually my compy locks up.  Rebooting fixes the issue.  I am running Windows XP Home w/ SP2 and anti-virus and anti-spyware installed.

GX1_Man

Re: Video artifacting
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 11:40:31 PM »
Most common causes:

video card not seated correctly
heat
need for updated drivers
bad card
inadequate or defective power supply

Since you mentioned it starts with graphics intensive games, I would say heat or bad power supply. Even though new what is the name on the PSU? Some don't have enough power on the 12V rail, and many "el cheapos" can cause problems.  

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    « Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 03:09:29 AM »
    I am assuming this is PCI-E, and you have no attempted to overclock anything?

Look in the graphics card tools/options and there should be a heat detector. Play a game for a bit, quit and quickly check the heat.

Sogekihei

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 09:52:37 AM »
    Power supply is good, I have checked the voltages, It is a BFG 650... heat is not an issue as it only hits about 60C under load... It only happens in FEAR and Prey I have found...  With a little bit in DOD:S only in DOD it is just a color splotch of texture not true artifacting... So Im going to assume its a problem with the games vs hardware.  If it gets any worse Ill just RMA the card to BFG and they'll give me a new one lol