Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DVD-RW issues  (Read 2159 times)

oxymoron_02

DVD-RW issues
« on: August 01, 2006, 06:56:50 AM »
Ok, so a basic synopsis is that I have a Samsung H552U DVD RW drive. I wish I'd researched it online before purchasing it because I have now found that it's a total pain in the *censored*.
Up until a few weeks ago I had Windows ME. Say what you like, but I never had any problems with it. I chose to install XP when I heard that Microsoft were dropping support for all previous OSes, and bought up a used (but legal) license.

Now I've been having issues with my DVD-RW. At first, it was just randomly preloading sections of the disk I wasn't even accessing, while I was trying to either read or write from my backup DVDs. That was fine, I just waited a few seconds for it to stop being a complete hat.
Then it picked up a new trick. It would allow me to click files, they would be of the right size, but they would contain, essentially, nothing.
Except now... I copied over a folder of pictures, and it instead placed an empty folder on the disk, then a bunch of files named after the folder, but of the correct sizes for the pictures that were in the folder.
I tried it twice more, and it did exactly the same again.

I'm a paranoid guy and I like to backup new things as I get them, just in case something happens. But this problem is driving me nuts.

I've tried an older firmware version and it did nothing, I've tried rebooting and it did nothing. Apart from buying a new DVD-RW from a company that actually knows how to make them, and apart from going back to Windows ME, what is there that I can do?

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: DVD-RW issues
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 08:16:35 AM »
I think I'd be using the latest firmware.  Is this what you have now?: TS-H552U Global distribution firmware US07

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 03:39:07 PM »
Did you format the drive first and do a clean install of XP?

oxymoron_02

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 04:47:13 PM »
Did you format the drive first and do a clean install of XP?

No. I am an idiot and thought I would glue the XP CD to the side of my tower in a futile attempt to get XP installed.
Yes, I formatted and installed it on a 'clean' disk.

Also, it WAS on the latest firmware, v7, but it started screwing up with that, hence me seeing if a downgrade would solve it. It did not.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 04:48:10 PM by oxymoron_02 »

oxymoron_02

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 05:41:14 PM »
I'd like to apologise for my previous post. I don't want to retract it entirely, because that would be like cheating.
But really, other things are happening right now that are, obviously, effecting my mood. I'm not the happiest I could be at the moment. And by happy, I don't mean that I'm depressed, just sort of mad.

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 06:17:10 PM »
The reason I asked was that MANY people just load another operating system on top of a FUBAR'ed installation without formatting and wonder why it doesn't work either.  ;)

oxymoron_02

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 06:40:34 PM »
Not I. Although I'm more of a hardware kind of person (currently studying for a CompTIA), I still know how to not completely frag a system when it comes to software. I don't like software (so quite how I would have computers work in 'my world' is a mystery =D), but I can operate it nine times out of ten without causing my computer to burn down my house.

Still hoping that one time out of ten won't actually ever happen at all, but you never know...