Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: BIOS Setup Key Causing Computer To Freeze  (Read 2524 times)

Jaegan

Topic Starter

Rookie
    BIOS Setup Key Causing Computer To Freeze
    « on: July 30, 2006, 03:28:28 PM »
       Hey guys, wanted to know if you could give me a hand with a BIOS problem I just discovered. I am running a "Ranger" from ViciousPC, identical to the one here except that I'm using a GeForce 6800 video card, http://www.viciouspc.com/product/config_ranger.html . I have video skipping in movies in some games, so I need to turn fastwrites_ON, (which requires editing the BIOS, of course.)  Normally accessing the BIOS is a simple process- press the indicated key at startup, or find out what key to press online.

When I press the key indicated, it goes to an all black screen with my "cursor" in the upper left hand corner, and nothing else happens. Apparently no typing or other actions are registered, (the cursor blinks but does not move,) and I have to restart the computer manually. I had tried doing this 8 or so times, and everytime it freezes up. I have no clue what could prevent me from being able to edit my Bios, so I could use your input.

My Specs: (Other info. available at the link above.)
    Motherboard Model: NF-CK804
    Motherboard Chipset: nVidia nForce4
    Motherboard Slots: 5xPCI
    BIOS Manufacturer: Phoenix-  Award WorkstationBIOS
    BIOS Date: 7/20/05 (checked the website, apparently they don't offer any updates, you have to contact the motherboard manufacturer)

All of my drivers are up to date.

I have a basic knowledge of what BIOS is, but not enought o troubleshoot it or figure this problem out. I can follow any instructions that you give provided there isn't any previous BIOS knowledge inolved. Thanks a lot for your thoughts and comments, hopefully you can help me solve this problem.

-Jaegan

pcdoc4christ

Re: BIOS Setup Key Causing Computer To Freeze
    « Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 03:48:12 PM »
    Jaegan:

Assuming you are still able to boot the computer normally when you do not try to enter the BIOS setup, i have two guesses:

A. There is a jumper on the motherboard that must be changed before you can enter the BIOS setup (most modern systems simply give you the option of entering a password to keep trouble makers from entering the BIOS setup, but some still have the jumper).

B. The data on your BIOS chip is corrupted.  In this case, flashing the BIOS or even replacing the chip might be required to fix the problem.

Doc
    « Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 03:49:06 PM by pcdoc4christ »

Jaegan

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 04:04:10 PM »
      Thanks for the quick response. If i can get a little more information from you...

How does one flash the BIOS on a chip?

Is there anyway to access the BIOS setup from within Windows?

Thanks again Doc,
      Jaegan

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 04:14:43 PM »
      ...How does one flash the BIOS on a chip?

Is there anyway to access the BIOS setup from within Windows? ...

A BIOS flash is usually on a floppy disk, a burned CD, or a removable drive.  When you start the computer with the floppy disk in the floppy drive, the CD in the optical drive, or the removable drive in the USB port, the BIOS installs the software to the BIOS chip.

There is no way to enter the BIOS setup from within Windows.

Doc

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 07:04:03 PM »
      And you need to be VERY carefully when flashing the BIOS as many a good motherboard has been turned into a doorstop if the computer powers down during the procedure, wrong flash file is used, etc. during the procedure.

It sounds like you have never done this before so be careful.  ;)

Jaegan

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 07:38:16 PM »
        Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like BIOS errors are less forgiving and more destructive than I guessed.

Luckilly, I discovered by computer is covered by esupport. Stumbled upon it as I was looking for stuff on flash bios, and basically they have a program that runs a diagnostic on your rig, determines your BIOS, and within 24 hours you get an e-mail telling you exactly what BIOS to use (and, in all hope, how to use it, eh.) I'll make sure to cross all my t's and dot all my i's on this one.

Thanks again for all the help guys. Really wish I would have found this site ages ago- you guys are a lot more helpful than the Tomshardware forum guys.

-Jaegan

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 07:48:26 PM »
        UR Welcome.  Come back and see us any time.

:)