Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CRASHED -(HDD or BIOS?)  (Read 2083 times)

shah.abid

CRASHED -(HDD or BIOS?)
« on: July 31, 2006, 10:59:08 AM »
well i m not too sure bout the specification:

its pentium celeron 1.45GHz
motherboard (some brand) with award bios
ram 256 MB SD RAM
win98 & xp pro installed in a single partition

whatever, it was running pretty well until today. i made some experimental changes in the bios.

In the ADVANCED CHIPSET FEATURES:
changed the CAS Latency Time 3 to 2
Cycle time Trans/trc 7/9 to 5/7
RAS-toCAS Delay 3 to 2
RAS Precharged Time 3 to 2
Delayed transaction Enabled to Disabled
System BIOS cache Disabled to Enabled etc. etc.

In the Frequency/Voltage Control:
changed the CPU clock ratio
changed the CPU clock something (was in MHz)

whatever! After the change was made, I found a much interesting problem.
Oh man when i was prompted to boot either of the windows: when i selected xp..... it showed some kind of a message written: you need to repair your windows coz your system files are damaged.
Cool! then I restarted the pc & tried to switch to windows 98. But it appeared "Windows protection error".
Then I restarted it again with reset button then i was prompted to choose from a menu. I selected SAFE MODE. But it hanged after a while. I tried again and again neither the windows booted in the normal mode nor in safe mode. However, I tried to undo all the changes I made in the bios. But, it did not solve the problem. Then i tried to reinstall the win 98. but in the scandisk it showed thousands of errors. I got frustated with those, and formatted that partition. I then tried to launch the win98 setup minimum 20 times but pc hanged either in the preparing for copying, or disk space calculation, or in the file copying section. I tried to quick format again and again before every time I attempted to setup but didnt result any good. After some attempt some SWUB error message began to be displayed. I tried to setup WIN XP then, first time hanged when "windows setup is starting", next time the error message was displayed:
"if you are receiving the error message 4 da 1st time then restart the setup, if again then try to update your setup, if the problem persists then try to remove any software or hardware you have added recently, make sure that you have your memory cache switched off. check your memory settings! I have undid all the changes but the setup kept on hanging.

Please help me, I have never encountered such problem!

« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 11:37:11 AM by shah.abid »

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    Re: CRASHED -(HDD or BIOS?)
    « Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 03:10:32 PM »
    It seems to me that you fiddled with some settings in the BIOS that were not meant to be fiddled with, and you have possibly caused permanent damage to one or more of your computer components. In which case the only solution is to replace that component.

In the BIOS, look for a restore failsafe defaults of some kind.

And why exactly were you changing them?

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 05:07:37 PM »
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should.  ;)

Neil

Expert
    • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
      « Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 05:30:04 PM »
      Just like voting! ::)