Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer not booting up - Please help  (Read 2216 times)

Jessica87

Computer not booting up - Please help
« on: July 31, 2006, 05:14:25 PM »
My compter was working fine yesterday. Today when I went to start it up I got this blinking message on my monitor "Self Test- Check your PC and Signal Cable - Monitor is working" I checked all the cables to make sure everything was plugged in right. The computer turns on and I can hear the fan and see a light on it, but it does not try to boot up or make any noises other than the fan. Also I noticed that the cd and dvd drives will not open.

I need this computer for school in a few weeks. Can somebody please help me?

Windows xp
Emachines

GX1_Man

Re: Computer not booting up - Please help
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 05:27:16 PM »
Has it been moved, monkeyed with internally or any playing in the BIOS? WHat happened between it didn't work right and now? New programs? Any clues?

It sounds like power supply, motherboard or CPU at this point, but we would need to know more about the omputer, age, etc. to guess further.

Have you ever worked on a computer before? Are you wanting to? Or is this best left to your local computer shop?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 05:14:13 AM by GX1_Man »

homer

Expert
    « Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 06:26:05 PM »
    sounds like a power supply issue. you might want to bring it into the shop to get it replaced. or if you know stuff about computers, its pretty easy to replace.
    « Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 06:28:45 PM by homer »

Jessica87

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 09:23:48 PM »
    Thank You. I was hoping it was something simple. I will have to take it to get fixed

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 05:09:51 AM »
    Be sure and post back what it was.  ;)