Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: LCD monitor resolution stretching problem.  (Read 6427 times)

eyeofnone

LCD monitor resolution stretching problem.
« on: July 31, 2006, 10:04:54 PM »
I'm having a problem with my new monitor.  Everything I view regardless of the resolution (it goes up to 1280x1024) looks stretched vertically.  Videos, webpages, whatever's being viewed.  For instance, this:

which should look like a square for the rest of you looks like a vertically stretched rectangle to me.  I never had this problem on my previous, very old CRT.

I'm using Windows XP on a Compaq SR1020NX.  The monitor is an Acer AL1917ABMD.  My display properities say "Plug and Play Monitor on Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller"

Is this a problem with my monitor, my system or... what could it be?  Thanks.

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    Re: LCD monitor resolution stretching problem.
    « Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 03:07:51 AM »
    Move your mouse around the edges of the screen. Is there any of the screen "missing" off the edges? If the whole screen is still visible, you probably have some kind of funny shaped monitor :-?

eyeofnone

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 12:17:19 AM »
    Move your mouse around the edges of the screen. Is there any of the screen "missing" off the edges? If the whole screen is still visible, you probably have some kind of funny shaped monitor :-?
    Actually, yes.  When I move my mouse around the screen on the bottom and right sides the cursor goes past the border to where it's almost invisible, if that's what you meant.

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
      « Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 02:21:27 AM »
      You must have the Monitor Configured wrong, Using the buttons on its Front,

You just need to go into the Monitors On screen Menu, and change the Display Sizes, you need to Stretch it on the Horizontal, and Squash it on the Vertical
      Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

eyeofnone

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 03:08:41 AM »
      You must have the Monitor Configured wrong, Using the buttons on its Front,

You just need to go into the Monitors On screen Menu, and change the Display Sizes, you need to Stretch it on the Horizontal, and Squash it on the Vertical
      Well, using the on-screen menu by navigating with the buttons I'm only able to move the screen vertical or horizontal, not stretch anything, just change its position.  Is there a Windows control pannel system way to alter what you're talking about?
      « Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 03:09:12 AM by eyeofnone »

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
        « Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 03:46:59 AM »
        Not on most monitors, it that monitor came with a Driver disk try installing it, it may have some advanced options

But for the Most part , you should be able to Stretch your screen with the OSD , you may just be over looking the option
        Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

eyeofnone

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 05:34:26 AM »
        Not on most monitors, it that monitor came with a Driver disk try installing it, it may have some advanced options

But for the Most part , you should be able to Stretch your screen with the OSD , you may just be over looking the option
        No driver disc, and nope, I'm using the OSD properly, toggling with every little option even if seems irrelevant, consulting the manual, etc.  

Nitro

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 05:40:51 AM »
        I'm using the OSD properly, toggling with every little option even if seems irrelevant, consulting the manual, etc.  

Have you tried setting to default?

Neil

Expert
          « Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 06:56:47 AM »
          LCD monitors should come with an autoadjust. What is your monitor's name?

Nitro

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 11:54:19 AM »
          LCD monitors should come with an autoadjust. What is your monitor's name?

I'm guessing that question is directed to eyeofnone?

If so he said before its a Acer AL1917ABMD

Neil

Expert
            « Reply #10 on: August 02, 2006, 12:03:03 PM »
            Looking at screenshots, there are 4 buttons on the front. One of these MUST be autoadjust?

Nitro

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2006, 01:55:51 PM »
            Looking at screenshots, there are 4 buttons on the front. One of these MUST be autoadjust?

He can get onto the on screen menu.

On my lcd i've got 5 buttons : menu, brightness, darkness, ESC and then power button.

In my menu there is a button for factory reset and also autoadjust, Maybe eyeofnone's is simliar?

eyeofnone

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2006, 09:38:31 PM »
            I've used auto adjust.  I've also reset to factory settings, everything.  Nothing works.

Neil

Expert
              « Reply #13 on: August 03, 2006, 06:30:45 AM »
              If you're able to, what about sending us a photograph?

Nitro

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2006, 06:51:42 AM »
              I've used auto adjust.  I've also reset to factory settings, everything.  Nothing works.

It sounds silly but have you checked all the cables?