Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Word Save as prob  (Read 6063 times)

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Word Save as prob
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2006, 03:00:03 PM »
No no no.  There are two different file access methods for Word template documents.  The default action (selected by double-clicking on the file in Explorer) is "New".  It creates a completely new file BASED on the template, and is not the same as opening the template.  The other action is "Open" which you can access if you right-click on the template in Explorer and choose "Open".

This has been the case since early versions of Word for Windows.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 03:00:32 PM by robpomeroy »
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Word Save as prob
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2006, 04:24:45 PM »
Well, zylstra555, I believe I understand your thinking here.  You're saying why would Word let you modify a template because you then lose the original template.  Right?  But, in fact, my tests with both Word 2003 and Word 97 worked the same.  I could open a never before opened template, make a change to it, and Word allowed me to save it without any alert or prompt asking me to confirm that I want to overwrite the existing file.

So, if preservation of the original template deemed desireable, then the user should open one of the original MS templates and save it under a different name.  Since I really haven't used templates much, I'm thinking the other logical approach is to simply open a template and save it as a regular Word document.  Is there any particular reason to retain the template file format?  I think not, unless converting it to .doc results in loss of some features in the template; indeed, this may be the reason to retain the template format.

However, Word 97 would not let me change a template to a document; Word 2003 will allow this via Save As.

Edit: I intended this to follow zylstra555 previous post, not Rob Pomeroy's; somehow, I did not see Rob's post before posting this.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 10:13:43 PM by soybean »