Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Another friend needs help  (Read 2592 times)

Allochthonous

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    Another friend needs help
    « on: August 01, 2006, 06:59:23 PM »
    I have another friend who needs some help with her system. Unfortunately, she is 4 hours away, and does not remember all details of the events, so the information that I am able to provide may be both sparse and speculative.

She bought a Gateway last October. I THINK it had McAfee Internet Security installed as a 30 trial (does Gateway do this too?).

She had the Geek Squad come to her home and set up the new machine for her.  It seems that they installed Norton Internet Security for her at this time (she says that it expires in Sept).  I am assuming that they removed McAfee Antivirus before they installed Norton.

This June, she was getting the BSOD, so she called Gateway, but she says they were of little help to her, so she had the Geek Squad come and help her again. They "restored" her system for her. I do not know whether they did a System Restore or a complete Factory Restore. She says that everything was still there except her emails and addresses.

She keeps getting warnings from McAfee that the trail has ended. After asking her some questions, I am under the impression that only the Security Center and AntiSpyware portion of McAfee is still installed. I had her go into Add/Remove and look for any McAfee entries. She says that Security Center and AntiSpyware are all that are listed.

I then asked her to look in Task Manager for any McAfee processes.  I knew that mcshield.exe, mcvsescn.exe, and mcvsrte.exe were related to the Antivirus portion. I then asked her to report to me any processes that started with "mc". She said that: mcagent.exe, mcupdmgr.exe, McTskshd.exe, Mcdetect.exe, and mcupdui.exe where still running.  

After researching these processes, it appears to me that they are all related to Security Center (updating, UI, etc).

I have suggested to her that she just uninstall any McAfee entries through Add/Remove unless she intends to renew her McAfee subscription. (which she does not)

Here are my concerns:

1. I know how finicky AV programs can be, esp Norton and McAfee. Is there any reason to think that something may go afoul while she in uninstalling McAfee?  I really wish that the Geek Squad person would have removed ALL McAfee products before installing Norton. Doesn't that make more sense?

2. I also know that having multiple AV programs installed can cause major conflicts. Does this ring true when ANY portion of multiple security suites are simultaneously installed? (Security Centers, for example) It seems to me that each company wants to be "the one" on your machine, but as long as there is only ONE AV program, is everything OK?

3. Are there any other processes that she should look out for that may cause conflicts?

4. This is a bit off topic, but she also uses Incredimail, which I am very unfamiliar with. Do AV programs (in this case Norton) protect you from email viruses when using Incredimail?

Thanks

PK

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
      Re: Another friend needs help
      « Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 04:17:03 AM »
      1. I know how finicky AV programs can be, esp Norton and McAfee. Is there any reason to think that something may go afoul while she in uninstalling McAfee?  I really wish that the Geek Squad person would have removed ALL McAfee products before installing Norton. Doesn't that make more sense?

From what Ive Heard McAffee get off your System when you tell it to, so this should not be a Problem.
      Norton on the other hand is a *censored*

2. I also know that having multiple AV programs installed can cause major conflicts. Does this ring true when ANY portion of multiple security suites are simultaneously installed? (Security Centres, for example) It seems to me that each company wants to be "the one" on your machine, but as long as there is only ONE AV program, is everything OK?

Yes More than one Anti Virus is a Nightmare, Security Centres are Usually management Programs for your anti-virus/Mal-ware and Firewall, The Centres them Selves should not cause problems, but the Firewalls could be Counter Productive, i would make sure she only has one Firewall enabled

3. Are there any other processes that she should look out for that may cause conflicts?

Many, many process can be bad, but to post a list would be insane, you could run hijack this on here computer , and post a log up here , but being she's 4 hour's away, i don't see this happening

4. This is a bit off topic, but she also uses Incredimail, which I am very unfamiliar with. Do AV programs (in this case Norton) protect you from email viruses when using Incredimail?

I have no idea, but i think AVG work's With Incredimail, so maybe Norton does too
      Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

Allochthonous

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        « Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 06:10:59 AM »
        Thanks for the advice.  I did inquire about the multiple firewalls, and as far as she could see, Norton was the only one running.

PK

Neil

Expert
        • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
          « Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 07:45:04 AM »
          Windows Firewall might also be running hidden in the background, but I've never heard it creating a problem.