Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Panasonic CF-M34 toughbook Video has RED tint  (Read 3165 times)

Lazerus2000

Panasonic CF-M34 toughbook Video has RED tint
« on: August 02, 2006, 11:42:27 PM »
I just bought three Panasonic CF-M34 Toughbooks off EBAY.  Unfortunately, all three have similar problems with video on the LCD panels.  None of these have an operating system yet, so I am limited to booting to SETUP.  All three have a RED TINT to the screen, and may have random flickers in the video display, or go to Black = dead screen.  

1.] Displays the PANASONIC LOGO [ tinted red ] , then the first few lines of POST display, then says it is entering setup, then goes BLACK = DEAD VIDEO.  Restart as many times as you want, the pattern stays the same.

2.] Displays the PANASONIC LOGO [ tinted red ], goes all the way into the setup screen, then flickers randomly,  may stay on for a few minutes before going BLACK = DEAD VIDEO.

3.] Displays the PANASONIC LOGO [ tinted red ], goes into setup screen, flickers lightly, then gradually stabilises and clears red tinted video  to proper white.

I was told replacing the LCD "INVERTER" or the complete LCD panel would cure these problems, but before ordering any replacement parts, I tried a little experiment.  I swapped the screens around with the laptop lower bodies, and  THE SYMPTOMS FOLLOWED THE BODIES, NOT THE SCREENS.   Which seems to imply the problems lie with a motherboard component rather than a Video component?

Can any body experienced with LCD panels point me in the right direction??  I really like these little Toughbooks, and I thought I could fix the Video issue with a simple inverter or screen replacement, but ????

thanks
LAZ

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Panasonic CF-M34 toughbook Video has RED tint
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 12:58:44 PM »
If they have no OS on them it's not a sure bet that the video is shot. It mifght just be that the splash screen only stays active for a certain time at which point you would get a black screen...

patio.   8-)

Before i would invest in inverters or anything else i would at least load an OS on there and take it around the block for a few days.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 01:00:32 PM by patio »
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Lazerus2000

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 07:58:21 PM »
I am hitting "F2" to access the BIOS setup screens, which DOES stay on with one of the units.  The second one gets in, and stays on for a few minuts.  The third one doesn't even make it in to the setup screens.  A bad CMOS battery would at least give me a POST  error message [ eg:  message stuck at ""entering Setup" ], but with the one, I don't even get that.
[;{(
LAZ

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 08:13:38 PM »
Contact the seller. I suspect you got no bargains.