Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: does windows hate me?  (Read 2486 times)

sam510

does windows hate me?
« on: August 04, 2006, 12:50:11 AM »
i just got a windows cd and i tried to install it on my formatted computer. it boots off the cd and after i accept to the terms and services it says press enter when the cd is in the drive. and the cd is already in the drive and it keeps saying that. it installed for me on my other computer. so i thought it was my cd drive. so i took the hd out and put it in the computer that worked with the windows cd. and if i put my hd as the master it would not detect the cd on the part i was talkin about earlier but if i put it as the slave and my normal hd as the master then it would detect it. and i cant install windows like that. so can anybody help me?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 12:57:24 AM by sam510 »

homer

Expert
    Re: does windows hate me?
    « Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 01:56:51 AM »
    yes windows hates you lol. jk

1.  you cant just yank out a formatted drive on a computer and place it in an entirely new comp and expect it to work. it wont.

2.  also, why are are you attempting to install windows on a formatted drive without first reformatting it?(the drive)

3.if you thought it was the cd drive that was the problem, why did you pull out the harddrive? leave the harddrive in the comp you attempted t install windows on, and swap the cd drives with the other comp.

4. is this a legal windows cd?

sam510

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 03:05:54 AM »
    yes windows hates you lol. jk

1.  you cant just yank out a formatted drive on a computer and place it in an entirely new comp and expect it to work. it wont.

2.  also, why are are you attempting to install windows on a formatted drive without first reformatting it?(the drive)

3.if you thought it was the cd drive that was the problem, why did you pull out the harddrive? leave the harddrive in the comp you attempted t install windows on, and swap the cd drives with the other comp.

4. is this a legal windows cd?

lol im kinda a noob but i yanked the hd out because i thought the cd drive on the computer it was on was messed up so i tried to put it on the other computer. and how do i reformat the hard drive??? i thought formatting it just ment to delete everything on it. and i know its not the cd drive its the hard drive. so yea can u help me?

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 04:04:02 AM »

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
      « Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 04:08:03 AM »
      Ok what you need to do, is take the Good CD Drive out of the other computer , put it in to the Computer your trying to set up.
      put the Hard Drive in The same computer.

For this i would put them both on separate cables to Each IDE Port and have them bout as masters , but thats just me.

Then Try to install again

You can format during the windows install when it asks where you want to put Windows, and then ask what format you want, ie
      NTFS
      NTFS(quick)
      FAT32
      FAT(quick)

i pick NTFS
      Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

sam510

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 04:45:32 AM »
      Ok what you need to do, is take the Good CD Drive out of the other computer , put it in to the Computer your trying to set up.
      put the Hard Drive in The same computer.

For this i would put them both on separate cables to Each IDE Port and have them bout as masters , but thats just me.

Then Try to install again

You can format during the windows install when it asks where you want to put Windows, and then ask what format you want, ie
      NTFS
      NTFS(quick)
      FAT32
      FAT(quick)

i pick NTFS

Here let me explain a little better.

Im gonna label my computer parts.
      1. Hard Drive 1(the 1 thats formatted and i want to install windows in)
      2. Hard Drive 2(the 1 that has windows install and works perfectly fine)
      3. Computer 1(This computer uses Hard Drive 1)
      4. Computer 2(This computer uses Hard Drive 2 and works fine)

I formatted Hard Drive(1) to install and older version of windows, but When im trying to install windows from the cd it goes fine at first.

I boot Computer(1) off the cd and right after i accept to the terms and condition it says ''Press enter when cd is in drive''

I press enter and it says please wait, Then at the top it says cannot read cd or not a valid windows cd.

So i thought Computer(1)'s cd drive wasnt working, and I took the Hard Drive(1) out and put it in Computer(2) to test if it would install in there.

I set Hard Drive(1) as master and it does the same exact thing, but When I take out the Hard Drive(1) and put Hard Drive(2) back in. It boots and installs fine.

So its not really having a problem with the windows cd its something with Hard Drive(1) other wise it would have said the samething on Hard Drive(2)

Do u get what im saying?

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
        « Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 07:25:52 AM »
        ok so your Saying the Hard Drive wont work in either computer, in that case

Buy a new Hard Drive
        Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice