Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem entering product key.  (Read 2296 times)

venus_hunter

Problem entering product key.
« on: August 04, 2006, 09:53:37 AM »
I have just gone back to factory settings, and have done twice before in the last five years with my PC. I have Windows ME and have tried several times to enter what I know to be the correct product key. I have entered it carefully, not confusing 8 with B, for instance. ::)

I have tried to clear the buffer (I think that's what the helpline called it) and I have gone to the bios screen to update the date and time, yet still it tells me the key is incorrect. >:(

(I went to factory settings believing I had a virus, but I am now convinced the fan needs a clean as it switched off more frequently in hot weather.) :-/

What are my options, please? I'd be glad of any advice. All Microsoft helplines send me off to nonsense that doesn't help at all. I no longer have a valid warranty. :-X

Thank you. :)

GX1_Man

Re: Problem entering product key.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 02:35:43 PM »
And what kind of computer is it? And do you have a restore CD or some sort of hidden partition or what? If a CD, what does it say on it?

venus_hunter

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 04:47:19 AM »
It's a Packard Bell iMedia 6185.

I have used a recovery floppy disc and followed the same recovery procedure as I've done successfully twice before. :-[

Thank you.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 01:38:27 PM »
I'm relatively certain that WinME won't fit on a floppy...
Post as much info as you can on your machine, hardware, and what happened prior to this and someone will be along shortly to assist...

patio.   8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "