Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: File Properties Problem - HELP!!!  (Read 11513 times)

Confused_Howard

File Properties Problem - HELP!!!
« on: August 05, 2006, 08:12:22 PM »
My problem is related to MP3 files.  When I right click on a file, select 'Properties', and choose the 'Summary' tab, I don't have all the options in the Advanced fields? I can only enter basic info, such as "Track Number, Title and Comments". Why can I no longer change other field that have always been available to me in the Advanced settings (such as Album Title, Year, Genre, etc.)??  Oh, and the files are NOT read-only.  I'm stumped..  Anyone have any ideas?? I would greatly appreciate it.

PS  -  this problem just occurred today for the very first time. Been making MP3 files for years, with no problems until today.  I tried to do a System Restore to get this capability back, but the system wouldn't restore. I tried 3 different dates (1, 2, and 4 days ago) and none of these worked.

Thanks in advance for your help.

GX1_Man

Re: File Properties Problem - HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 08:18:17 PM »
You may have other issues. Are you free of malware? Any recent updates, other system changes? What are you using for protection? SP2 and all updates?

Confused_Howard

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 08:25:07 PM »
I have the "automatic" Windows update feature enabled.  And yes, I have SP2 installed.  I ran Sbybot today and it found a few things, which I deleted, but nothing major.  

Confused_Howard

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 08:26:37 PM »
And of course I have Norton Anti-Virus protection installed.  

Confused_Howard

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 08:29:10 PM »
And I don't seem to have any other computer problems, BUT this....  At least none that I'm aware of at this point in time.  But this just happened today and I've not had much time to play on the PC today.

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 08:29:37 PM »
Just for grins try the Panda online virus scan.

http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan.htm  

Confused_Howard

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 08:32:34 PM »
OK, will do right now...  Will let you know the results.  

Confused_Howard

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006, 08:51:30 PM »

According to the scan, just spyware and potentially unwanted tools.  Doesn't sound like anything major.  But I'll let you decide.  The results are as follows:

Incident                                                                                            Status                        Location                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

Potentially unwanted tool:Application/MyWebSearch                               Not disinfected               c:\progra~1\mywebs~1\bar\2.bin\mwsoemon.exe                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
Potentially unwanted tool:Application/MyWebSearch                               Not disinfected               C:\PROGRA~1\MYWEBS~1\bar\2.bin\MWSBAR.DLL                                                                                                                                                                                                                      
Potentially unwanted tool:Application/MyWebSearch                               Not disinfected               C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\2.bin\F3HTMLMU.DLL                                                                                                                                                                                                            
Potentially unwanted tool:Application/MyWebSearch                               Not disinfected               C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\2.bin\MWSBAR.DLL                                                                                                                                                                                                              
Potentially unwanted tool:Application/MyWebSearch                               Not disinfected               C:\PROGRA~1\MYWEBS~1\bar\2.bin\mwsoestb.dll                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
Potentially unwanted tool:application/mywebsearch                               Not disinfected               c:\windows\system32\f3pssavr.scr                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
Potentially unwanted tool:application/funweb                                    Not disinfected               c:\windows\downloaded program files\f3initialsetup1.0.0.8.inf                                                                                                                                                                                                  
Spyware:spyware/searchcentrix                                                   Not disinfected               Windows Registry                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
Spyware:Cookie/2o7                                                              Not disinfected               C:\Documents and Settings\Howard\Cookies\howard@2o7[2].txt                                                                                                                                                                                                      
Spyware:Cookie/Hbmediapro                                                       Not disinfected               C:\Documents and Settings\Howard\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
Spyware:Cookie/NewMedia                                                         Not disinfected               C:\Documents and Settings\Howard\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt                                                                                                                                                                                                  
Spyware:Cookie/Atwola                                                           Not disinfected               C:\Documents and Settings\Howard\Cookies\howard@atwola[1].txt                                                                                                                                                                                                  
Spyware:Cookie/Belnk                                                            Not disinfected               C:\Documents and Settings\Howard\Cookies\howard@belnk[1].txt                                                                                                                                                                              

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 08:55:34 PM »
According to the scan, [highlight]just spyware [/highlight]and potentially unwanted tools.  [highlight]Doesn't sound like anything major.[/highlight]  

These two things are mutually exclusive.

Confused_Howard

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2006, 08:56:56 PM »
What should I do then?  Do you think this Spyware is causing my problem?  

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2006, 11:28:23 PM »
Get rid of it first and see if that resolves the issue.

Confused_Howard

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2006, 05:42:05 PM »
well I got rid of these files and I still have the same problem.  Any other suggestions?  This is driving me crazy.  

Thanks for you help, by the way.  

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2006, 06:22:18 PM »
How did you get rid of them?  

What software were you referring to in your original post?

Confused_Howard

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2006, 06:31:07 PM »
I got rid of these files by deleting the temporary internet files and cookies through Internet Explorer.  

The software problem is with Windows Explorer, most specifically "My Music".  I have lost the ability to edit the file properties of my MP3 files.  When I right click on an MP3, go to properties, then to the Summary tab, I am unable to modify anything but what is on the simple page (Track Number, Title and Comments).  The Advance tab is grayed out.  I can NOT modify or add the Artist, Album Title, Year, etc.  Nor can I view these items when I'm in the "My Music" folder.  The only things that show up in My Music folder are File Name, size, date, and type.   The headers are there for the other fields I have chosen (artist, album title, etc), but the data does not appear.  It's weird.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2006, 07:05:12 PM »
Eh, better take a closer look at where you stand.  MyWebSearch isn't going to be removed by merely deleting the temporary internet files and cookies through Internet Explorer.  Read this: Fun Web Products "My Web Search" Removal Instructions and Help.

And, as far as the music goes, I have some music on my computer and I also can NOT modify or add the Artist, Album Title, Year, etc. via Windows Explorer.  So, I'm very skeptical that that can be done via Windows Explorer.  

Edit: I do not see a way to do it even with Windows Media Player.  I can do such tasks with with the software that came with my mp3 player.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 07:16:47 PM by soybean »