Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Error message on Hard drive  (Read 5080 times)

offerman

Error message on Hard drive
« on: August 08, 2006, 11:15:57 AM »
Hi there, following my ealier thread about hard drives I have swapped the hard drive to another device. It says the same error which is "NTLDR is missing"
Does this error mean the hard drive is corrupt of broken??

Thanks.

offerman

Re: Error message on Hard drive
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 11:19:48 AM »
I have checked the following:

Causes:

Computer is booting from a non-bootable source.
Computer hard disk drive is not properly setup in BIOS.
Corrupt NTLDR and/or NTDETECT.COM file.
Misconfiguration with the boot.ini file.
Attempting to upgrade from a Windows 95, 98, or ME computer that is using FAT32.
New hard disk drive being added.
Corrupt boot sector / master boot record.
Seriously corrupted version of Windows 2000 or Windows XP.
Loose or Faulty IDE/EIDE hard disk drive cable.
Solutions:

Computer is booting from a non-bootable source

Many times this error is caused when the computer is attempting to boot from a non-bootable floppy disk or CD-ROM. First verify that no floppy diskette is in the computer, unless you are attempting to boot from a diskette.

If you are attempting to boot from a floppy diskette and are receiving this error message it is likely that the diskette does not have all the necessary files and/or is corrupt.

If you are attempting to install Windows XP or Windows 2000 and are receiving this error message as the computer is booting verify that your computer BIOS has the proper boot settings. For example, if you are attempting to run the install from the CD-ROM make sure the CD-ROM is the first boot device, and not the hard disk drive. Second, when the computer is booting you should receive the below prompt.

Press any key to boot from the CD

When you see this message press any key such as the Enter key immediately, otherwise it will try booting from the hard drive and likely get the NTLDR error again.

Note: If you are not receiving the above message and your BIOS boot options are set properly it's also possible that your CD-ROM drive may not be booting from the CD-ROM properly. Verify the jumpers are set properly on the CD-ROM drive. Additional information about checking the CD-ROM drive connections can be found on document CH000213.

Additional information: This error has also been known to occur when a memory stick is in a card reader and the computer is attempting to boot from it. If you have any type of card reader or flash reader make sure that no memory stick is inside the computer

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 04:37:33 PM »
Do you have a real Windows CD to fix this? It may or may not work, but you will be no worse off.

What happened prior to this? (I don't go rummaging in other posts. Anything relevant to this situation should be posted here.  ;))

offerman

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 01:05:37 AM »
GX1, All that happened prior to this was i was given a computer to fix for a friend, I mentioned that i got message saying the hard drive maybe corrupt, that was whilst trying to set up  and install windows. People said swap the HDD to another device, which i did and still got the same message. I just wanted to know whether i could try anything else before telling my friend that she needs a new HDD.?

rais79

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 01:59:12 AM »
This problem occurs when one of more of the following boot up files are missing:

NTLDR
Ntdetect.com
Boot.ini

Resolution

Generally there are 2 methods to resolve this issue.

1.Manual File Re-Patching

This method attempts to copy and replace the corrupted file from the Windows Installation disc to your hard disk. To start, follow these steps:

Insert the Windows 2000 or Windows XP CD into your computer as default boot up media.

Enter Windows Recovery Console

At the command prompt, assuming drive D refers to your CD Drive, type in the following and hit Enter:

Press Y when prompted to overwrite any existing file.

copy D:\i386\ntldr C:\

copy D:\i386\ntdetect.com C:\

Restart the computer

If the error message still persist, it is likely that your boot.ini file is corrupted. Try to fix your corrupted boot.ini file instead.

2.Using Windows Repair Install

This Windows Repair Install overwrites all system files in your computer, leaving your installed applications, data files and settings intact. However, you will lose previously saved system restore points and service pack updates. You may need to re-apply the system updates after this procedure.

offerman

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 02:59:54 AM »
Thanks Rais 79, I managed to copy the 1st option copy ntldr etc, but the second wouldn`t copy over.
I restarted the laptop and chose to overwrite previous installation folder, it started installing but now i get message saying, Setup has determined that drive c: is corrupted and cannot be repaired.
Is this true is there nothing else i can do to fix this?

Also your 2nd section below, how do i do this???(use windows repair? is that the R option?If so i tried that aswell.
.Using Windows Repair Install

This Windows Repair Install overwrites all system files in your computer, leaving your installed applications, data files and settings intact. However, you will lose previously saved system restore points and service pack updates. You may need to re-apply the system updates after this procedure

offerman

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 03:06:51 AM »
Restart the computer

If the error message still persist, it is likely that your boot.ini file is corrupted. Try to fix your corrupted boot.ini file instead.  
 How do I do this mentioned above??

Also while trying to install windows it says " the followinglist shows the exisitng partions and unpartioned space on this computer".

Options are - to set up windowsxp on the selected item, press enter

- to create partion in the unpartioned space, press c
                  - to delete the selected partition, press d

I have tried all of these but which one is the correct one to choose.

Thanks for any help.

rais79

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 03:08:51 AM »

check whether there is clicking sound in HDD when u start the system or accesing the drive.

If u hear the clicking sound.. then HDD may be damaged...

if not,

Then first try to repair ur hard disk using the hard disk utillity(like bad sectors..) may be ur system file is in bad sector.. so check that.

then try Using windows repair.

update me after checking.

offerman

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 03:18:11 AM »
Then first try to repair ur hard disk using the hard disk utillity(like bad sectors..) may be ur system file is in bad sector.. so check that.

then try Using windows repair

Rais, I`m very sorry but i`m not sure how to do this, I`m at an early stage of trying to learn about computers.

Could you be so kind as to explain how to do the above.

Many thanks

offerman

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 03:20:31 AM »
I check the HDD for clicking sounds but all appears to be in good order.

offerman

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 03:31:05 AM »
Just tried a CHKDK command, and it says 75%completed, it appears to contain 1or more unrecoverable problems? Does this mean HDD is knackered?

rais79

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2006, 03:35:44 AM »
Steps to check Hard Disk for errors.

1. boot ur system with Floppy disk(MS-DOS boot Disk)

2. type the command SCANDISK /all/autofix

Options

/all - Used to check and repair all local drives.

/autofix - This option will fix any errors it encounters without prompting you first. By default, when you use the /AUTOFIX option, ScanDisk will save any lost clusters it finds as files in the drive`s root directory. If you want ScanDisk to delete lost clusters instead of saving them, include the /NOSAVE option. Using the /AUTOFIX option, ScanDisk will also prompt you for an Undo disk unless you include the /NOSUMMARY option. The /AUTOFIX command can be used in conjunction with the /CHECKONLY and /CUSTOM options.

3. it will repair the errors.

4. then try to install new OS or repair the old OS.

(but it will better if u format the HDD and the Install OS)

i hope iam clear...

offerman

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2006, 03:45:06 AM »
Yes thats very clear Rais, the only problem is i dont have a floppy drive on my friends laptop!!

rais79

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2006, 04:21:21 AM »
Then try to swap HDD to other computer and check for errors..

If u swap HDD to other computer, then u need to make changes in command for scandisk.

After booting the system with floppy..

change ur drive path from A: to the hard drive which u want to check for errors.. for eg.

if hard drive(swapped one) drive letter is F:

then commands are as below.

A:\ F:

F:\ SCANDISK /autofix

try to do this..

or

u can check for errors after opening windows.

open "CONTROL PANEL"

Click "Administrative Tools"
then
Click " Computer management"

it will open new window

in the left pane.. expand, STORAGE

click Disk management.

in the right pane it will display all the drives..

Right click on the Hard Disk u want to check for errors.

click properties, it will open properties window..

Click Tools.

under that , Error Checking - click check now.

it will pop up window.. select both the options in it.

click Start. it will check for errors.

update me after checking.

offerman

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2006, 05:25:15 AM »
I have decide it would be easier to tell my friend just to but a new hard drive. I have spent 2 whole days trying so  many things,some succesfully thanks to alot of you guy`s , but overall i can`t get the laptop fixed.  Thank you all for your time and patience with me, it has been much appreciated.
Hopefully she will buy new HDD i can just slot it in and load system back on for her without any probs.

Thanks again.