Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer does not boot  (Read 2146 times)

scar199

Computer does not boot
« on: August 13, 2006, 05:43:30 PM »
Strangely, when I pressed the power button on my computer, it would sit there for five seconds or so, and then quickly restart itself, and repeat the process. After figuring out that it obviously was not turning on, I held in the power button for around 10 seconds to see if the computer would stop and shut off. However, it did not. I pulled the power plug, which stopped the machine from working. When I plugged the power back in, the machine automatically turned on and resumed the same process. I have tried removing every piece of hardware in my computer one by one, but it keeps doing the same thing! Any ideas?

GX1_Man

Re: Computer does not boot
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 05:54:23 PM »
Please post a LOT of information about the machine, history, etc.

See below.

scar199

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 07:28:16 PM »
The machine is around 3-4 years old, with the following components:

Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard
ATI Radeon 9000 Pro video card
AMD Athlon XP 2400+ 2Ghz
Seagate Barracuda 7200 80Gb
768Mb RAM

Those are the main specs, and basically all I really know about the machine. There is a DVD burner and a CD drive which are both functional, because I tried them on the computer I'm using right now.

As for history, there isn't much to say about it. It's just been there, being used since it was built. The only thing that may have caused a problem was the fact that the breaker the computer is on tripped recently. Is it a possibility that there is something wrong with the power supply? There is a 500W power supply.

scar199

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 07:35:52 PM »
Nevermind. I figured out that the power supply wasn't working because I found another power supply lying around to hook it up to. It worked.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 10:20:53 PM »
Excellent...we love success stories.

patio.   8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 10:54:52 PM »
The machine is around 3-4 years old, with the following components:

Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard
ATI Radeon 9000 Pro video card
AMD Athlon XP 2400+ 2Ghz
Seagate Barracuda 7200 80Gb
768Mb RAM

Those are the main specs, and basically all I really know about the machine. There is a DVD burner and a CD drive which are both functional, because I tried them on the computer I'm using right now.

As for history, there isn't much to say about it. It's just been there, being used since it was built. [highlight]The only thing that may have caused a problem was the fact that the breaker the computer is on tripped recently. Is it a possibility that there is something wrong with the power supply? There is a 500W power supply.[/highlight]

Critical information to a solution that finally came forward. Good for you.  ;)