Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Weird Hard Drive Problem  (Read 3982 times)

Erik Legault-Taylor

Weird Hard Drive Problem
« on: September 09, 2004, 06:50:52 PM »
I was playing the Tribes : Vengance beta the other day and all of the sudden, my hard drive just stops spinning. Then starts up again, then starts going nuts, starting and stopping like crazy. I hardbooted (turned off the computer via the power button) and it was still doing it! then after about 10 seconds it stopped and continued booting up like it normally does.

I talked to the guys at the Tribes Beta Forums and they said that it sounded like something other than the beta, Since nobody else has reported this and one of them has had this problem before and thinks it might be XP. I don't know what it is, but I am concerned. If anyone has ever heard of this before please let me know, thank you.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Weird Hard Drive Problem
    « Reply #1 on: September 09, 2004, 10:00:18 PM »
    Erik Legault-Taylor.....can you tell us what operating system your using ? And if its win XP have you installed SP2.
    Has anything like this ever happened before ......and how old is the computer ?

let us know
    dl65  ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Erik Legault-Taylor

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 12:28:35 AM »
    Right, sorry. I am running windows XP w/ SP 2 and the computer is not even a year old, I built it myself it has an AMD Althon XP 2600+ processor, 1024 mb of ram, an MSI K7 nForce 2 chipset motherboard, and the HD is a 40 GB western digital. All of these parts were purchased not even a year ago so there is no way that the HD is getting old. I have never had this sort of thing happen to me nor have I ever heard of this kind of behaviour in a HD. However, I do not claim to be an expert at PC hardware. Thank you for your help.  

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2004, 12:52:31 AM »
      Erik Legault-Taylor.......Based on what you have posted .....I would say the issue is that the Beta version of the game you refered to is not compatible with SP2 ....if you look at MicroSofts site they make it very clear that there have been some issues with some games .... And the reason the games guy hasnt heard about your problem before is that SP2 is just out maybe 3 weeks .....and not everyone has installed it yet .....so if everything other than that game works for you .......let
      MicroSoft know ( they will add that game to their list) and tell the game people to modify their game so its compatible with xp sp2.
      Oh yes , dont play that game anymore ....it doesnt sound like its doing your pc any good.
      Hope this helps you

dl65  ???
      « Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 12:54:48 AM by dl65 »
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.