Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sanitarium voice problem  (Read 6429 times)

Project-404

Topic Starter

Starter

Sanitarium voice problem
    « on: December 26, 2008, 08:15:58 AM »
    Hello, first of all, great forum.

To get to the point: I have downloaded an abandonware game very popular at one time: Sanitarium from http://www.dosgamesonline.com/index/game/636/Sanitarium.html.
    The download went without problems and fast too...
    My winzip trial days stuff is already over so I simply right clicked on the winzip file, clicked explore and then double clicked the application file. This triggered the unpacking wizard (as it always does) and after a bried unpacking rpoces the installation proces has begun.
    Note that I have selected a directory different from that of Program Files and let it be installed in a different map.
    After the installation was complete I clicked the setup file which informed me within a second that the registration, - not installation - , was complete.
    Afterwards I clicked the Sanitarium running application and the game began without problems.
    The cinematic played and sound (everything actually) went without any problems.
    But when the actual gameplay started I found that the text the character actually had to say was missing. I simply don't hear anything he or anyone else) says, music and sound effects (like a sounding alarm) were perfect, but there was no voice. During conversations no voices are heard.

I do not know wherein lies the problem and would greatly appreciate if someone would share his/her solution knowledge with me, if any system information is needed you need but to ask.

Many thanks in advance,
    Project-404

Additional information: I have opened the audio options menu in-game and tested the different aspects setting them to mal volume while setting the others off. What I found is that the music and cinematic didn't respond to the test and that the voice cathegory seemed to function perfectly...
    So when I clicked test at the voice cathegory a short 'Yeah, but who's gonna clean it up after' voice was heard. In game however, no dialogues can be heard with but one exception:
    At one point early in the game the character walks up to a legde to see another person standing on it, the person says 'Hey, huh? Wha?' and falls off. The character screams 'No, wait!'. None of this can be heard BUT:
    After the whole event the character says 'My God...' and this can be heard perfectly.
    Default voices are normal too: for instance if you try and use a towl with a staircase 'That won't do any good', 'I can't use that here' will be heard...
    I will now try to download the game from a different source, perhaps some voice files are missing... however, there are absolutely no error messages.

More info: The original winzip file contains 12 more winzip files the first one of which is an installation file (WinRAR self-extraction) that extracts and installs the files from the other 11 files that are named Sanitarium part01.zip... At the end of the installation I get the warning message 'RAZOR 1911 registry setup' and states: You must run SETUP from the directory where Sanitarium has been installed.
    When I click OK it disappears... But the Setup application with a 1911 icon remains inside the sanitarium map.
    Also: All cinematics after the first ones are bugged, there is no sound and they do not show any motion at all!
    « Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 07:37:39 AM by Project-404 »

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Sanitarium voice problem
    « Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 10:41:26 AM »
    Abandonware games are still under copyright. We can't help you with this issue. Sorry.
    http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,58736.0.html

Project-404

Topic Starter

Starter

Re: Sanitarium voice problem
      « Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 10:54:40 AM »
      Yet at this very forum I have seen clear answers as where to get abandonware games... Kind of contradictional.

By the way, suppose I let that part out... Will it then count as a fully legal question?