Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: POSTDATA problem?  (Read 3908 times)

jackh1990

POSTDATA problem?
« on: August 06, 2006, 03:36:59 AM »
Hi,

For the past 3 weeks or so i have been unable to log into hotmail, sign onto msn messenger and purchase anything over the internet from the usual online shops; play.com etc. I have run all the usual anti spyware programs: spybot, ad aware and avast antivirus aswell as disk cleanup, defrag, and removing cookies/temporary internet files. i have a hp pavilion computer windows xp sp2, 2.80ghz 512mb ram. I cant remember for sure but i think the problem stems from me fiddling with the internet connection settings - which services use the internet for example. i think these were things like printer sharing service and .net passport network, which i think is linked to the hotmail and msn problem.

does anyone have a solution or encountered this problem before?

thanks

GX1_Man

Re: POSTDATA problem?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 07:40:02 AM »
Here's a start:

Online Virus Scan and Spyware Scan  
http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan.htm  

1. Start    
2. Settings    
3. Control Panel    
4. Internet Options    
5. Security tab    
6. Reset all 4 security zones to Default    

1. Start    
2. Settings    
3. Control Panel    
4. Internet Options  
5. Privacy  
6. Restore 1 Default button  

1. Start    
2. Settings    
3. Control Panel    
4. Internet Options    
5. Advanced    
6. Restore 1 Default button  

You may need to do the following as well    

1. Start    
2. Settings    
3. Control Panel    
4. Internet Options    
5. General tab    
6. Remove cookies, temporary files and history    

Kudos to Raptor and Fed.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 10:06:45 PM »
Go on, what settings exactly did you fiddle with?  ;)  Certainly the .NET passport stuff will be related to MS site security.

Have you tried using a different browser?  If you're using IE, you should change it anyway.  Try Firefox, Opera, Slimbrowser or Maxthon.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

jackh1990

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 11:37:42 AM »
hi, i tried the online security test and it identified around 30 spywares, all of which were cookies. i have cleared all pivate data in firefox and also followed the advice for IE, but the problem still stands. i fiddled with the settings for:

Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
Client for Microsoft Networks

Currently, they are all enabled (ticked), is this correct?

The problem seems to be with submitting data; transactions and logging into the hotmail account although i can still log into my yahoo account. Seems very strange. In addition, after running spybot, i found a piece of spyware named something like Disable.Microsoft.Firewall, which i removed but it turns up on every scan.

Thanks for help so far

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 12:02:48 PM »
Sounds like you are not completely free of malware I'm afraid.  As my good friend GX1_Man would say, until that point, all bets are off.

Would you be averse to a reformat-reinstall?  Starting with a clean slate is helpful, therapeutic and cures most woes (other than the woe of running MS Windows itself).

jackh1990

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 02:55:50 PM »
looks like a dead end then?

As an intermediate computer user, i tend to experiment quite alot, after all its the best way to learn, but obviously it can lead to situations like these where there is no way out but a clean wipe of the hard drive.

I've been thinking of getting an external hard drive, to store my music and films on (as i have more than 30gb worth; too much to back up on dvds), what are the pros and cons of this, eg would any viruses be able to get onto the external hd and how easy is it to update the hd with data (would it be drag and drop like a flash drive?)

Cheers

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 03:32:56 PM »
Not necessarily, but I would take the line of least resistance; i.e. reformat.  ;)

would any viruses be able to get onto the external hd
Yes.  Minimise your risk by practising safe surfing.  Reputable, up to date anti-malware software; avoidance of P2P networks; safe internet browser and email clients, etc.

and how easy is it to update the hd with data (would it be drag and drop like a flash drive?)
Totally.

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 05:51:26 PM »

As an intermediate computer user, i tend to experiment quite alot, after all its the best way to learn, but obviously it can lead to situations like these where there is no way out but a clean wipe of the hard drive.

[highlight]I've been thinking of getting an external hard drive, to store my music and films on (as i have more than 30gb worth; too much to back up on dvds), [/highlight]what are the pros and cons of this, eg would any viruses be able to get onto the external hd and how easy is it to update the hd with data (would it be drag and drop like a flash drive?)

Cheers

Just remember that ALL hard drives die eventually, so not backing up to secure media like CD/DVD's will only postpone, not prevent, a total loss of data. Just a thought.  ;)

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 04:37:03 AM »
Just remember that ALL hard drives die eventually, so not backing up to secure media like CD/DVD's will only postpone, not prevent, a total loss of data. Just a thought.  ;)
"Secure media" is the Holy Grail, isn't it?  Writeable CD and DVD media is photo-sensitive and hence degrades over time; even if locked in a dark cabinet, you can't expect more that 12 years of validity.

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
    « Reply #9 on: August 08, 2006, 06:58:14 AM »
    Ahh now rob , Ive seen some very long lasting Data Mediums, There's these Rocks Called Ogham, They have Carvings on them that Have lasted Thousands of Years in the Rough Weather of Ireland ^.^

ogham.lyberty.com/oghamintro.html

Did you not post a link a few days ago to a site that showed how long you can Expect CD's to last, i think it said that in Perfect Conditions a cd would last 50 years , if it was a good CD

Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    « Reply #10 on: August 08, 2006, 07:27:41 AM »
    Did you not post a link a few days ago
    No; wasn't me.

to a site that showed how long you can Expect CD's to last, i think it said that in Perfect Conditions a cd would last 50 years , if it was a good CD
    Interesting.  I wonder what are "perfect conditions"?  And how many people keep their CD backups in anything approaching perfect conditions?   :-/

I think you'll find that those carvings have a certain element of data redunancy; the media size is large compared to the amount of data contained, and the loss of certain molecules of the medium would not necessarily result in data corruption or ambiguity.  And although data read speeds may be nanoseconds, data write speeds are unacceptably slow at several hours per glyph...  ;D
    « Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 07:28:08 AM by robpomeroy »

jackh1990

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2006, 09:58:14 AM »
    ok thanks for all the advice, i'll probably end up reformatting and getting an external hd, as the prospect of my music collection spread over several discs scares me!. In addition, it would be far easier to add the odd album or two to an HD rather than waiting for 4.7gb to burn onto a disk.

Just a few more q's

1. Would an external HD randomly die on me even if i only connected it for 30mins a week just to update?
    2. Are there any programs/built in windows features which update your external HD from selected folders when you connect, similarly like an iPod would in iTunes?
    3. How often do the more experienced users among you have to reformat because of viruses/spyware? or do you reformat every so often just to start again?

Thanks again

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
      « Reply #12 on: August 08, 2006, 10:35:03 AM »
      I format about Twice a year, i have multiple Disks tho, and usually only format the Windows one.

Disk's Randomly Die... Keep away from Magnets and Dust.

Windows has a Feature Called Offline Folders, it can be used to sync the Contents of a Network Share, I'm sure you could adapt this to you Purpose

or you could google for some Syncing software , there are many options, i have Sync Back on my Office PC
      Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

GX1_Man

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2006, 04:02:40 PM »
      ok thanks for all the advice, i'll probably end up reformatting and getting an external hd, as the prospect of my music collection spread over several discs scares me!. In addition, it would be far easier to add the odd album or two to an HD rather than waiting for 4.7gb to burn onto a disk.

Easier, yes. Safer, depends on what happens when the drive craters.

1. Would an external HD randomly die on me even if i only connected it for 30mins a week just to update?

Random is just that - random. You cannot really predict. Some die soon, some later, but all eventually. Some develop the mysterious RAW format syndrome you see mentioned here for no apparent reason. The drive is still good and can be re-used after it is formatted again, but the data is not retrievable.

2. Are there any programs/built in windows features which update your external HD from selected folders when you connect, similarly like an iPod would in iTunes?

You can get automatic backups, full or incremental with add on programs, like True Image, but none built in to Windows.

3. How often do the more experienced users among you have to reformat because of viruses/spyware? or do you reformat every so often just to start again?

Once a year at least, just because, BUT I use an imaging program so it only takes about 10 minutes. (True Image again to the rescue.)  ;)

jackh1990

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2006, 02:59:04 PM »
      thanks to everyone who contributed!