Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Trouble  (Read 4354 times)

epicxsg

Computer Trouble
« on: August 10, 2006, 03:46:18 PM »
When I first start my computer(I'm not at windows yet) It says Overclocking failed! Go to setup to re-configure your system. I've never tried to overclock so I don't know what thats about. Then it says press F2 to load default values and continue..so I press it then it says "We apologize but windows did not start successfully and gives me a list like:
Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Last good configuration(settings that worked last)
Normal Setup

I've tried all of them and none work, after I pick one it goes to the windows screen where the blue bars are moving(right before windows comes up) but then it always restarts my machine right there. Any one know if theres a way to fix this? or have any idea what I'm talking about?

Or like it says above "go to setup and re-configure your system", any one know how to do this?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 04:26:37 PM by epicxsg »

GX1_Man

Re: Computer Trouble
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 04:43:16 PM »
What preceeded this?

What version of Windows? What Service Pack? Are all MS updates applied?

What spyware/virus protection is being used?

Other known problems with system?

What is the system? Computer or motherboard make/mode? Laptop or desktop? How old?

More information needed.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 04:43:35 PM by GX1_Man »

epicxsg

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 05:25:20 PM »
What preceeded this?
Nothing it just restarted out of no where and when it rebooted this started happening.

What version of Windows? Windows XP
What Service Pack? Windows Service Pack 2

Are all MS updates applied? Well when it started happening last night the window came up for the update saying restart now or restart later. I was busy so I kept saying restart later and it restarted me by itself a little later when this started happening.

What spyware/virus protection is being used? AOL Safety and Security

Other known problems with system? It freezes occasionally when I play WoW(World of Warcraft) where I would have to press the restart button but nothing too bad.

What is the system? Computer or motherboard make/mode? Laptop or desktop? How old?

It's a dell..RADEONX300, 1GB ram, it's about 1 year old and is a PC.

edit: some one told me to take out the battery on my motherboard for 30 seconds and put it back in but that didn't help.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 05:27:27 PM by epicxsg »

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 05:36:23 PM »
What preceeded this?
Nothing it just restarted out of no where and when it rebooted this started happening.

What version of Windows? Windows XP
What Service Pack? Windows Service Pack 2

Are all MS updates applied? Well when it started happening last night the window came up for the update saying restart now or restart later. I was busy so I kept saying restart later and it restarted me by itself a little later when this started happening.

What spyware/virus protection is being used? [highlight]AOL Safety and Security[/highlight]

Other known problems with system? It freezes occasionally when I play WoW(World of Warcraft) where I would have to press the restart button but nothing too bad.

It's a dell..RADEONX300, 1GB ram, it's about 1 year old and is a PC.

edit: some one told me to take out the battery on my motherboard for 30 seconds and put it back in but that didn't help.

AOL stuff is NOT sufficient. Try the panda online virus scan for starts:

http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan?NRMODE=Published&NRORIGINALURL=%2factivescan%2f&NRNODEGUID=%7b3B202047-35D4-4DA2-B310-B1DBEC2971F2%7d&NRCACHEHINT=Guest

Is the machine still under warranty?

What model of Dell? (Radeon is not a model.)

Can you get to Safe Mode and do a system restore to a few days before this started?

Do you have a real Windows CD or some sort of restore CD?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 05:37:07 PM by GX1_Man »

epicxsg

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 05:53:44 PM »
I'm pretty sure it is.

I meant that was my video card. I'm not sure which model, any where I can check?

Can you get to Safe Mode and do a system restore to a few days before this started?
No.

Some where around here..but wouldn't I lose everything I have? That's not good.

edit: There's a new screen at the beginning when I start up. It says ASUS Motherboard and "Proactive" in the middle of the screen and "Pentium" at the bottom.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 05:58:02 PM by epicxsg »

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 06:00:12 PM »
I'm pretty sure it is.

Post your Service Tag. It is about 6-7 letters and numbers on the outside of the case, and/or on the BIOS screen (F2 when you see the Dell logo).

I meant that was my video card. I'm not sure which model, any where I can check?

Post the Service Tag

No.

We'll come back to that.

Some where around here..but wouldn't I lose everything I have? That's not good.

I need to know what you have to work with. Your data may already be compromised. Do you have a CDRW or a DVD-RW drive in there? If the machine has to be formatted and reinstalled we will try to save the data first.

epicxsg

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 06:07:17 PM »
There is no dell logo on startup but I'm in the BIOS menu and don't see it anywhere. It's also not on the case because its dell but customized.

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 06:10:47 PM »
Downlaod and run Belarc Advisor (free at www.belarc.com) and look in the top right corner of the report where it says "Computer".

epicxsg

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 06:16:27 PM »
Did I forget to mention I'm on a different computer right now and can't get to windows on the one I'm talking about to even download anything? Sorry ::)

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 06:19:41 PM »
We'll leave the light on for when you come back.  ;)

Where did you get this mystery machine?

epicxsg

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 06:23:59 PM »
No, the other computer is in my house but I can't get to windows when I start it the message "We apologize but windows did not start successfully" and then gives me a list to do things, like:  
Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Last good configuration(settings that worked last)
Normal Setup

and when I pick one it restarts right away.

My dads friend built it for me almost a year ago and its worked great until now.  :-/

I don't know why I said dell, thats only the monitor. Silly me :(
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 06:27:55 PM by epicxsg »

epicxsg

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2006, 07:06:59 PM »
Also, is it possible to delete CMOS from typing something in the command promt? I think I may have done that awhile ago.

GX1_Man

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2006, 07:13:43 PM »
Also, is it possible to delete CMOS from typing something in the command promt? I think I may have done that awhile ago.

No.  You can reset CMOS by removing the battery for a few minutes, though.

Everest Home will tell you about the machine components.

http://www.comcen.com.au/~fed/everest.zip  

I need to know what you have to work with. Your data may already be compromised. Do you have a CDRW or a DVD-RW drive in there? If the machine has to be formatted and reinstalled we will try to save the data first.

epicxsg

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2006, 07:17:20 PM »
I've already tried taking the battery out for a minute and I have a DVD-RW drive.

edit: My motherboard is a ASUS Proactive P5GD1 if that helps in any way.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 07:18:56 PM by epicxsg »

GX1_Man

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2006, 07:22:55 PM »
And no Windows CD? Where did it go?

Is that an install with a genuine Microsoft CD?