Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: here's an interesting one. . .  (Read 3975 times)

squirrel

here's an interesting one. . .
« on: August 10, 2006, 04:16:06 PM »
I know someone who won't even defrag her HD, much less update her virus definitions because she thinks defragging can make computer run slower and that updated virus/spyware/adware protection will mess up her computer.  She also is terrified that hijack this and/or ccleaner will do unwanted things to the machine.  What can i say to her?

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: here's an interesting one. . .
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 04:36:05 PM »
Give better explanations of what each one does....
De-fragmentation will not make a computer work slower. Why?
Files on the hard drive are placed in random areas, wherever there is free disk space.
One single file can be placed ALL OVER the hard drive.
So, when you access that file, it takes a while to get it to open simply because its in 20+ different places!

Virus Definitions:
How on earth would they cause the computer to stop working? They keep the computer working. You need to protect yourself against viruses. And to do so, you need to update your definitions.

HiJack This:
HiJack This doesnt really do anything to harm your computer. The worst you can do is delete a needed registry item. To make a registry backup:
Click START>RUN
Type RegEdit
Then click FILE>EXPORT and save to the main drive on the root (C:\)
Do this before running HiJack This, and you wont have problems.

Ccleaner:
Ccleaner is one of the safest removal tools for getting rid of unwanted registry keys. Why? Because it allows you to make a wonderful registry backup that will fix all if something goes wrong. Running Ccleaner for removing unneeded files and unneeded registry keys really speeds up your computer.

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 05:01:43 PM »
I know someone who won't even defrag her HD, much less update her virus definitions because she thinks defragging can make computer run slower and that updated virus/spyware/adware protection will mess up her computer.  She also is terrified that hijack this and/or ccleaner will do unwanted things to the machine.  What can i say to her?

"You're wrong and there are consequences to your refusal to practice smart computing."

Then just let it go. You can't fix stupid.  ::)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 05:02:07 PM by GX1_Man »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 05:08:16 PM »
    squirrel......  That's just too funny ......
    You might point out to your friend , that it is of the utmost importance to keep the AV updated , as new virus code is written all the time ...... and refusing to update is just asking for trouble ....it's just a matter of time .
    Perhaps your friend should do some googling about how a hard drive works , the size of the segments etc.  How files get fragmented etc. , etc. , etc.
    Then exactly what defragmentation is and how it works ( It will in fact speed up the operation of the machine )
    I would assume that your friend manually cleans the crap from the machine on a regular basis ........ If they don't .....eventually it is like a boat anchor , slowing things down .  Ccleaner is probably one of the safest and easiest to use utility for removing all the accumulated crap.  I don't recall ever hearing of a machine being damaged by using Ccleaner .
    Hijackthis ....... is a very powerful utility and could create issues if not used properly ...... and definitely not to be used by someone who doesn't know how to interput the resulting scan .
    Does your friend have the operating system updated ?

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 03:04:10 AM »
    What can i say to her?
    "Well I guess it's not your fault you're blonde."
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

infoseeker

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 04:46:45 AM »
    What can i say to her?

Tell this to her:

"if your PC will not work anymore properly, then give it to me for at least one day"

Then ask her to "get out of your sight"
    Then perform the necessary  things for the sake of her pc

(then i think every 2-3 months your doing that  ;D ;D)

;) infoseeker  ;)

squirrel

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 06:05:31 AM »
    Give better explanations of what each one does....
    De-fragmentation will not make a computer work slower. Why?
    Files on the hard drive are placed in random areas, wherever there is free disk space.
    One single file can be placed ALL OVER the hard drive.
    So, when you access that file, it takes a while to get it to open simply because its in 20+ different places!

Virus Definitions:
    How on earth would they cause the computer to stop working? They keep the computer working. You need to protect yourself against viruses. And to do so, you need to update your definitions.

HiJack This:
    HiJack This doesnt really do anything to harm your computer. The worst you can do is delete a needed registry item. To make a registry backup:
    Click START>RUN
    Type RegEdit
    Then click FILE>EXPORT and save to the main drive on the root (C:\)
    Do this before running HiJack This, and you wont have problems.

Ccleaner:
    Ccleaner is one of the safest removal tools for getting rid of unwanted registry keys. Why? Because it allows you to make a wonderful registry backup that will fix all if something goes wrong. Running Ccleaner for removing unneeded files and unneeded registry keys really speeds up your computer.

she thinks running an updated spybot S&D and fixing things would be bad. unfortunately, she's my superviser at the moment.  however, i will explain this the way you all suggested.  she says defragging sometimes slows it down.  why would she think this?
    « Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 06:10:23 AM by squirrel »

Neil

Expert
    • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
      « Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 06:47:27 AM »
      To be fair, I've never noticed defragmenting actually make any difference to my computer.

Why don't you try secretly updating them without her knowledge?

squirrel

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 08:14:38 AM »
      I could do that. . .if i could be certain she wouldn't discover it and report me to her boss. (i might not get to intern again next year if that happens)

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 08:54:06 AM »
      To be fair, I've never noticed defragmenting actually make any difference to my computer.

I'm always a little amazed when I hear someone say that because I do notice a difference.

Neil

Expert
      • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
        « Reply #10 on: August 11, 2006, 09:10:21 AM »
        I'm always a little amazed when I hear someone say that because I do notice a difference.

Ditto, reversed. ;)

What is she going to say?

Her: HE'S DONE SOMETHING TERRIBLE!
        Boss: What? Crashed the system, engaged in fraud, started a carrot-worshipping cult as part of a cunning plan with which to take over the world?
        her: NO! HE'S... HE'S.... UPDATED OUR VIRUS SCANNER!
        *Boss dies of heartattack*

If you are this concerned, talk to the boss yourself. But if the systems do go wrong, it'll be her neck on the line, and not yours, right?

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
          • Yes
          • Technology News and Information
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #11 on: August 11, 2006, 11:54:01 AM »

Its not even that anymore!
        Ok, now for a lesson on HFS hard drives, and how they store information.
        <Insert HFS Format picture example>
        Hard drives are composed of many different things that make them work. But the most important for data storage;
        Head
        Platter
        But were not going to focus on the head today, just the platter.

The platter is a very flat, round plate (very reflective, and made out of aluminum or other materials) covered in a very smooth magnetic layer. In fact, its just like a cassette tape, except this isn't going to ware out.

Now, the platter has sectors on it, this divides the different areas of the disk.

(Image Credits: WhiteCanyon website, through Google Images)
        Now, look at this example.
        You will see hard disk sectors which appear to be empty, contiguous files, and fragmented files.

I want you all to notice the fragmented files. Each area of blue above is one single file, however, that file is placed all over the hard drive instead of in just one place.
        The contiguous file is what your files become after defragmentation. They are no longer apart.
        Now, this doesnt speed up the running of Windows, but it does speed up the loading of Windows, and the startup of programs and loading of programs.

Now you know what DiskDefragmentation does, and how it speeds you right up.
        « Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 11:54:30 AM by zylstra555 »

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
          « Reply #12 on: August 11, 2006, 12:08:49 PM »
          make a sheducle to do everything at night when shes not there or before she gets there..

my grandma used to be like that.. before her computer crashed from no protection and i think 1 yr of crap build up..

now she calls me ever time theres a pop up.. lol

and if she is still being a lameo then make sure you dont have anything on the computer and wait for it do crash and then she can explain it to her boss..

or sercertly meet with ur boss and have him/her talk to the other person about safe computing.

and have her read this article from above

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1134123580

edit: ok i've have to edit this post 4 times cuz i keep misspelling stuff and/or leaving stuff out
          « Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 12:12:37 PM by unlovedwarrior »

squirrel

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2006, 12:55:17 PM »

Right.  i can always say "well, she's the one who told me NOT to update the virus definitions". ;)

PS i'm printing this thread to show to her. . .you all said it better than i could have.
          « Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 12:56:05 PM by squirrel »

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
            « Reply #14 on: August 11, 2006, 12:59:17 PM »
            i hope it works out for you.. 8-)