Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: compaq 5340  (Read 3451 times)

daydreamer110761

compaq 5340
« on: September 10, 2004, 10:18:01 AM »
http://  ok - here's another question.  until i get my good one running right - a friend had given me a compaq - it was supposed to be used for parts, but after messign with it, and fdisking - loading my own windows into it, seems to be fine (especially after i cleaned out all she had in it).

problem - it already has it's own nic card, so why is it that when i plugged in the cable, nothing will detect it, and it won't go online.  I've never encountered this before, i've always ended up with puters that i've had to install nics on myself - not the pre-built ones.. :P

Raptor

Re: compaq 5340
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 11:36:49 AM »
i've always ended up with puters that i've had to install nics on myself - not the pre-built ones

That does not make sense. If you were to take out  the card and put it back in ,you would have installed it yourself, wouldn't you?

Can you be more specific as to what the problem with the card may be? Is it onboard? Is it damaged?

If it is not functioning properly, install the drivers or replace it?

2k dummy

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 11:41:15 AM »
Go to control panel/network and see if the nic is listed. You might require drivers or set up the bindings.

daydreamer110761

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2004, 05:07:52 PM »
for the record - i did all the binding stuff - turns out to be the stupidest thing - how about unplugging the modem - turn off the puter, and turn it all on again so the nic detects it!!!!!!   ::)  (just incase anyone asks....