Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: no sound and no ethernet connection  (Read 7111 times)

Snake_Griffin

no sound and no ethernet connection
« on: August 11, 2006, 11:44:16 PM »
This computer has given me nothing but trouble the past few months  >:( .  Anyways, I have an IBM ThinkCentre M50 Type 8189-E1U.  I recently (last week) switched reinstalled windows after running Ubuntu (doing so because I need it to be compaitable at school) and now I have no sound and cannot connect to the internet.  I checked every possibility when it comes to sound.  It wasn't detecting the drivers so I got the driver from the IBM website.  Even though I installed the necessary driver it still says no audio device available under the "Sounds and Audio Devices" in control pannel.  Mind you the sound was working just fine when I had Ubuntu on there and even before when I had windows.

Secondly I have problems connecting to the internet, when I was back at school and still running windows I had no problems with that.  So after reinstalling Windows and my noticing the sound problem I wanted to connect to the net to download sound drivers and ran into a secnod wall.  In the hardware wizard "no ethernet controller" is detected (I forgot to check what code it's throwing).  I also tried installing some driver but with no luck.  I opened the computer up and looked to see if I have an ethernet adapter, not sure if I see it but nothing has changed hardware wise since I lived at school and everything worked fine then.  

I'm sorry if I'm not clear enough.  I'm just really frustrated at this point and it's kinda late.  If you guys need me to clarify anything let me know.  Also during the windows installation, during the setup process when files were being copied into the computer a few .dll files were unable to copy along with a few others, could that have any effect on my problems.  I did try to reinstall windows a few times but each time I do the same files won't copy.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 12:05:25 AM by Snake_Griffin »

GX1_Man

Re: no sound and no ethernet connection
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 06:36:09 AM »
This computer has given me nothing but trouble the past few months  >:( .  Anyways, I have an IBM ThinkCentre M50 Type 8189-E1U.  I recently (last week) switched reinstalled windows after running Ubuntu (doing so because I need it to be compaitable at school) and now I have no sound and cannot connect to the internet.  I checked every possibility when it comes to sound.  It wasn't detecting the drivers so I got the driver from the IBM website.  Even though I installed the necessary driver it still says no audio device available under the "Sounds and Audio Devices" in control pannel.  Mind you the sound was working just fine when I had Ubuntu on there and even before when I had windows.

Secondly I have problems connecting to the internet, when I was back at school and still running windows I had no problems with that.  So after reinstalling Windows and my noticing the sound problem I wanted to connect to the net to download sound drivers and ran into a secnod wall.  In the hardware wizard "no ethernet controller" is detected (I forgot to check what code it's throwing).  I also tried installing some driver but with no luck.  I opened the computer up and looked to see if I have an ethernet adapter, not sure if I see it but nothing has changed hardware wise since I lived at school and everything worked fine then.  

I'm sorry if I'm not clear enough.  I'm just really frustrated at this point and it's kinda late.  If you guys need me to clarify anything let me know.  Also during the windows installation, [highlight]during the setup process when files were being copied into the computer a few .dll files were unable to copy along with a few others, could that have any effect on my problems[/highlight].  I did try to reinstall windows a few times but each time I do the same files won't copy.

Yes it could. I am assuming you are using XP although you didn't say. You did well to include the model numbers of your machine.  ;)

Here are the listed Ethernet drivers for that model. DO NOT use Windows update to update your network card drivers, ever!

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-57033

The audio is a little harder to find for that model type. I see three audio drivers, but none specifically for yours. How about running Everest Home and seeing exactly what is in there?

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Since Lenovo took over things are harder to find. Sometimes it is easier just to get an add on sound card and disable the onboard audio.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 06:37:01 AM by GX1_Man »

Snake_Griffin

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 11:40:15 AM »
Yes it could. I am assuming you are using XP although you didn't say. You did well to include the model numbers of your machine.  ;)

Here are the listed Ethernet drivers for that model. DO NOT use Windows update to update your network card drivers, ever!

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-57033
The audio is a little harder to find for that model type. I see three audio drivers, but none specifically for yours. How about running Everest Home and seeing exactly what is in there?

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Since Lenovo took over things are harder to find. Sometimes it is easier just to get an add on sound card and disable the onboard audio.

Sorry, I am running WinXP.  I have installed IntelProSet previously but to no avail.  I'll try it again and same with the soundcard.  I'll let you know how it went.

Snake_Griffin

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 09:25:55 PM »
So I installed the necessary drivers for the ethernet (finally got connected to the net) and I also installed the sound drivers.  

I still have a problem of no sound.  During driver installation for my sound card there was an error in loading the file streamci and streamci.dll, it said that the specified module could not be found.  Also when I want to go to volume controls in windows I am told that there is no active mixer device available.  According to Everst I have Device Description Intel 82801EB ICH5 - AC'97 Audio Controller [A-2/A-3]      PCI  but I got the driver from the lenovo page (I downloaded the ADI SoundMax driver).  

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 10:19:21 PM »
So I installed the necessary drivers for the ethernet (finally got connected to the net) and I also installed the sound drivers.  

I still have a problem of no sound.  During driver installation for my sound card there was an error in loading the file streamci and [highlight]streamci.dll[/highlight], it said that the specified module could not be found.  Also when I want to go to volume controls in windows I am told that there is no active mixer device available.  According to Everst I have Device Description Intel 82801EB ICH5 - AC'97 Audio Controller [A-2/A-3]      PCI  but I got the driver from the lenovo page (I downloaded the ADI SoundMax driver).  

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=streamci.dll

If you got the correct Soundmax driver is the only issue. They are both supersets of the basic AC97 driver. As I said I only saw three listed, but none were for your specific machine type. Look at the descriptions carefully.

Snake_Griffin

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 11:53:22 PM »
I downloaded streamci.dll and pasted it into Windows > System32.  Then I reinstalled the driver I had and viola sound came on.  Thank you so much, you have no idea how frustrating it has been to deal with this stupid little problem for the past few days.

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 05:01:55 AM »
You're welcome and thanks for posting back. You had done your homework well and posted all of the information needed or the issue wouldn't have been solved this easily. (I wish every one did that! Kudos to you.  ;)