Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard Drive Transfer  (Read 2193 times)

Sean

Hard Drive Transfer
« on: August 13, 2006, 10:42:21 AM »
A couple of weeks ago, my computer crashed. I got the blue screen, and ever since I haven't been able to boot it up. It was a standard dell, and ran XP, it also had a Barracuda 7200.7 hdd. Whenever I tried to boot it, it would get to the Windows XP loading screen, and stall for a couple of minutes and then go to a blue screen saying fatal system error. This isn't really too bad of a problem, because I was going to reformat right now anyways, but the problem is that I don't want to loose all of the files off of my drive. I recently got a new computer, an IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad, so the plan was to transfer the files from my hdd to my new laptop, but this is where I run into trouble. I pulled the hdd on the desktop, and since I have no desire to/don't know if it's possible to set it as a slave on my laptop skipped that step and bought an IDE-USB adapter. Here's a link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812156101 . But I can't figure out how to attach it to my hdd. The jumper on the drive isn't exposed and says factory use only, and  I am just overall confused right now. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

GX1_Man

Re: Hard Drive Transfer
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 11:00:42 AM »

Sean

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 01:32:01 PM »
I'm not understanding how I'm moving the files from my hard drive from the desktop to the laptop; sorry if I didn't make myself clear in my first post about what my objective was.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 02:20:19 PM »
Do you have a router? The SLAX CD will be able to tranfer the files via the router to the other computer. If you do not have a router a simple crossover cable can be used to create a simple network. You can also copy the files to a pen drive if you have one and there are not too many gig's of data. If the desktop has a CD and a CDRW or DVD-RW you can just burn them to those media. It is a functioning operating system on a CD.

Sean

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 12:52:29 PM »
I have a router, but the desktop computer doesn't actually boot. I need to get the files from a hard drive that has already been pulled from the desktop onto the laptop.