Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows reboots with DNS reset.  (Read 2668 times)

chino9656

Windows reboots with DNS reset.
« on: August 13, 2006, 03:16:27 PM »
Hi.  I tried searching around the net and on here, but couldn't find anything helpful.  Hopefully someone on here will have some insight for me.  I recently moved to a new house where I can't string a cat5 over to the router, so I went out and bought a wireless card.  It's a $20 one, but it works.  Ever since then, this computer will reboot itself.  It used to happen around 11PM or so, but recently I had reset the router in the middle of the day, and now it is rebooting around 2 PM or so.  I have the same card on another computer on another network, and it hasn't had rebooting problems, though for some reason now it doesn't start.  I have a Belkin card on my laptop with little issues.  It was getting bsod every once in a while, with W2000 and XP.  I also have a newer dell with a linksys card that works just fine.  My mom has a Dell laptop that is hardwired in, and never has problems.  Could this be some type of problem with the router? or possibly with my card? It never happened when I ran a wire (before i got the wireless card).  I also had completely formatted my hard drive and reinstalled windows (something I like to do every spring) and it still happens.  I am using PC-Cillin 2002, and that's the only program I have start up with the computer, except a bandwidth monitor which i have used for years.  The computer will restart whether I am playing a game, listening to music, surfing, or if it's just sitting there with no programs open or anything.  The brand of the wireless card is called AirNet.
Thanks for your help,
Zach

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Windows reboots with DNS reset.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 03:23:55 PM »
Can you run that machine for let's say 24 hours or so with the card un-installed ? ?
I doubt it's a piece of hardware re-starting that machine.

But in the meantime go to Control Panel/System/Hardware/Advanced and under Startup and Recovery and uncheck "automatically re-boot on errors"

Re-start after making this change...

patio.   8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "