Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Creat shadow disk w/ boot diskette to recover XP  (Read 2228 times)

redcatman74

Creat shadow disk w/ boot diskette to recover XP
« on: August 14, 2006, 02:58:31 PM »
Running W XP Home Edition SP2 that is current.  I want to create a shadow disk that mirrors my primary physical drive that has one partition - C: - to my second physical drive H: that has only one primary partition.   Both drives are 60 gb.  I only have the recover CD that came with the system, not the pure XP CD.

Question is based on the premise that if Drive C: fails I want to be able to recover possibly by:

1 - booting directly to drive H: (I don't have a boot manager that I can use at this time), or

2 - after I physically move the H: drive to the C: location boot up as if nothing had happened.

I have the NT backup utility that I have been using to backup drive C: to H: but I am not sure whether or not it creates a bootable partition.  I don't have a CD RW that works at this time, only a diskette drive and a DVD/CD reader drive.

I would appreciate some advice on how to accomplish this task.

Thanks

redcatman

GX1_Man

Re: Creat shadow disk w/ boot diskette to recover
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 03:39:39 PM »
You need an imaging program. Safer, works and takes up a LOT less space on the drive. What you are planning does not work. You cannot copy files that are in use to run Windows itself. This does work:

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1154041625/0#0