Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC woun't start  (Read 2401 times)

MacPC

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    PC woun't start
    « on: August 13, 2006, 05:54:36 PM »
    Hi,

I have this PC, a eMachine T1840. For some reasons it just refuses to start. When I try to boot it up, it will have two beeps, then it just shuts itself off no matter how many times I push the power button. If I unplug it for a period of time like 10-15 minutes, it will start again and the same thing happens. I suspect it's the power supply box so I used a power supply that I know is good, it still does the same thing, so I guess it's not the power supply causes the problem. What else could be wrong? BTW, it runs Windows Home edition.

Any helps will be grateful.

MacPC

pcdoc4christ

Re: PC woun't start
    « Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 06:14:33 PM »
    Mac:

If your PC has an AMI BIOS, two short beeps means a problem with the RAM memory modules.  

Try turning off the PC and removing all of them and replacing just one (it must be one with at least 64 MB).  Restart Windows XP in safe mode.  If the PC boots without a problem, try turning off the PC and replacing the second RAM stick, and booting to Safe Mode again.  If the PC starts without error, try replacing the third RAM stick, and so on.  

When you reproduce the audio beep code, you have found the bad RAM stick, which you should replace with one that is the same kind as the ones that work.

Doc
    « Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 06:15:11 PM by pcdoc4christ »

MacPC

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      Re: PC woun't start - correction
      « Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 06:19:09 PM »
      Sorry, please disregard the last post, I didn't make myself too clear. I should said that when I turn one the PC, it will start in saft mode, I entered Start Windows Normally, just when it gets to the Window logo with the progress bar, it shuts itself off except the floppy drive making a clicking noise. I can't turn the power off by using the power button. The only way to shut it off is to unplug the power cord.  Then after I wait for 10 to 15 minute, I turn it on again and the same sequence happens. I am pretty sure it's not the power supply because I swapped a known good power supply and it still does the same thing. What else could be wrong? The PC is a eMachine T1840 and running Windows XP Home. And also the two beeps are gong.

Thanks again.

MacPC

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 06:26:58 PM »
      Is it an external floppy drive plugged into a USB port?

MacPC

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        « Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 06:59:08 PM »
        Thanks for the reply. It's a internal FD. It's weird, now it doesn't even get as far as the Windows logo. The CPU fan comes on for a few seconds then it just shuts down, leave the FD making the clicking noise.  :-?

pcdoc4christ

Re: PC woun't start - correction
        « Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 03:35:33 AM »
        ...when I turn one the PC, it will start in saft mode, I entered Start Windows Normally, just when it gets to the Window logo with the progress bar, it shuts itself off except the floppy drive making a clicking noise. ...

Your statement is ambiguous.  To clarify, do you mean you can get to the Windows desktop in Safe Mode but not if you choose to boot normally on the Windows boot menu?

MacPC

Topic Starter

Intermediate
          « Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 06:12:36 PM »
          Hi PCDoc

This PC is really fulky, I took the whole thing apart and found out the motherboard is kaput. I connected the bare bone MB to a known power supply and it still does the same thing, so I guess it's RIP  :'( . Oh well, thanks for trying to help anyway.

MacPC