Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Major Computer Malfunction??  (Read 2116 times)

Ozzie

Major Computer Malfunction??
« on: August 14, 2006, 11:12:50 AM »
I've posted before about a loud noise in my HP modem. Here is what my computer has: 520 intel pentium; 512 MB; 160 GB, hopefully that helps, it's an HP Pavilion. My mom was on the computer the other day and she said it froze so she shut it down, I turned it back on and when I did, it went to the normal screen but the bottom toolbar, where it has start and the icons on the right side, were all gray, usually the toolbar is blue with a green start button. I figured out how to change that, but here is where I need help.

I connected to the internet and I can be connected for some time than when I click on the back button it says 'page cannot be found', so I check my internet to see if it's connected and that page won't even come up, it flashes up on my screen really fast and then nothing, so I have to restart my computer so I can reconnect to the internet. Also when I'm on the internet, the bottom blue toolbar changes to gray than back to blue, all by itself, and than it disconnects, is this a virus or what? My mom has Panda anti-virus but she had to turn off the anti-virus firewall otherwise the anti-vrius would not work, and now I think she has several viruses in her computer but I go to scan it and it won't scan, it just sits there, I think she has so many files and stuff in her computer it's pretty much screwy, how can I fix this problem.

PS: Also I usually clean out all my files on my laptop and mine works fine, I go to control panel, and than it says restore memory/clean out unused files, I try to do that to my mom's PC and it won't do anything, it sits there, and it says 'may take a moment' I could be waiting for hours for it to go through, is there any thing else I can do to clean up her computer for her.

One more thing, The toolbar never changed like that in the middle of the internet and disconnected until she restored it back to several days ago.  

ZealEmpire

Re: Major Computer Malfunction??
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 11:43:48 AM »
I highly reccomend going here http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Personal-Edition/3405-8022-5153545.html?part=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5 and downloading the free copy of Ad-Aware run it to do a full system scan and delete everything it picks up.  Also this disk cleanup utility in the Start menu>Accesories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup.  Check all of the boxes in the disk cleanup.  You wont be removing anything important.  I also recommend a better anti virus such as Norton...I have never heard of the one you mention.  Let me know how that works for you :)

ZealEmpire

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 11:48:03 AM »
Also what type of internet connection do you have?  Sometimes I get a problem on my cable modem where my addressing doesnt update.  Which causes my pages not to display.  Usually hitting the reset on the cable modem solves that problem.

Ozzie

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 11:50:10 AM »
I have to add this: before it changes from blue to grey and than back to blue, this pop up message comes up frequently. It says "Generic Host Process for Win32 has encountered a problem and needs to close" I always click 'Don't Send' because towards the end it says 'do you want to send an error report' I click 'Don't Send', why is this message coming up and what is it? Could this also be a problem, what is Win32?

Ozzie

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 11:53:11 AM »
We have dial-up, our internet company is suppose to be switching to High Speed, hopefully soon. I've tired the Disc Cleanup several times and it doesn't do anything, it just sits there.