Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hijacked...sounds like a movie  (Read 3557 times)

ale52

Topic Starter

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Hijacked...sounds like a movie
    « on: August 14, 2006, 07:19:44 PM »
    Windows 2000 Pro
    256 Ram
    20G hdd
    Norton06
    IE 6

Got a friends pc with the homepage hijacked.  I've run Adaware and it picked up some spyware and recognized an 'attempted hijack' of the homepage and cleaned it.  I can change the homepage to anything but it still goes back to http://my.msn.com.

I've also updated Norton and run a scan with nothing showing up.

I've run StartupList and HijackThis but didn't seem to find anything.  Also ran BHoDemon and turned off all BHO's.

Alan <><  >:(
    « Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 07:24:31 PM by ale52 »
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

Saviour

Re: Hijacked...sounds like a movie
    « Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 11:28:23 PM »
    Are you running Norton Internet Security Spyware addition?

If so, check to see that it's not configured to prevent changing the homepage.

Also check other programs to see if they have options to prevent hijacking the homepage in their security settings.  These security settings will also prevent the user from changing their own homepage.
    « Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 11:36:29 PM by Saviour »

rlprlp

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 06:15:35 AM »
    I have "my msn".  It came as part of a package deal with my dsl.  You have to have an account with msn to use it.  Personally, I doubt that msn hijacks browsers, so I agree with Saviour.  You probably have a security program that "locks" the home page.  
    « Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 06:16:25 AM by rlprlp »

ale52

Topic Starter

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 07:51:42 AM »
      Ok Saviour and rplrpl...

You both hit the nail on the head  :o

Sure enough...it was Norton  >:(  I went into the AV profile and unchecked "Block all attempts to change my home page".  That did it  ;D

Thanks a bunch.  I am weary of Norton.

Alan <><  :D
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

rlprlp

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 06:43:22 PM »
      Why are you weary?  (If you don't mind my asking, that is!)  Wasn't it doing exactly what it was SUPPOSED   to do?!